Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 24345 times)

Richard Rollnick

GPS Units
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:43 AM »
I would appreciate any recommendations regarding GPS units that you might recommend.  Is there really a GPS unit that is made with usable features that better accomodate travel in a RV?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: GPS Units
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:52 AM »
Hello Richard,

We use the RV specific model from Garmin.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garmin-GPS-p/22-1590.htm

Ours included Lifetime Map Updates. We like it so far.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:56:44 AM »
Richard/Diane, if you happen to have an iPad or iphone there's a GPS app 'Speed Tracker' for $3.99 that gives you the advantage of the large screen of the iPad plus all the features of a stand a lone GPS. In addition the Speed Tracker also provides HUD (heads up display) reflected in your windshield.

I wish I could say that I had personal experience with this unit but sadly I don't, yet.  One caution, if you use this App during your planned Canadian adventure be aware of 'out of country' roaming charges unless you have a roaming package.

Enjoy Canada....
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

John Padmore

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
I bought the Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 7710 and really like it's features. It is made for rv's and is really easy to use. Also can switch between rv and car mode. I bought the one with the 7" screen. Programmable for rv size, lane assist, Wal-Mart locations and if they allow overnight parking....and a whole lot more....thanks.

John

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Hello Richard,

We use the RV specific model from Garmin.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garmin-GPS-p/22-1590.htm

Ours included Lifetime Map Updates. We like it so far.

Stan

This model just was released and is getting good reviews from lots of people.  If you don't want to spend quite as much, we've been using a Garmin 465T for over 2 years with reasonable success.  The 465T is a "trucker" GPS that keeps you out of trouble by knowing your height, weight and length.  It's principal drawback is that it doesn't know that RVs can drive on truck-restricted roads in many situations.  As a result you sometimes take a more circuitous route than you could have used.  Other than that, I think the 465T is a good unit for ~half the price.  

There are a bunch of other features on the 760LMT that you may like, such as RV-related points of interest, and the ability to link the GPS to a smart phone (for a price), but pretty much all of those can be accessed directly from my smartphone so I have no need to incorporate them in my GPS.  I want my GPS to be the best it can be in doing the job I bought it for; I have no need for it to try to replace or duplicate my phone's functions.  JMO

All that having been said, if I didn't already own the 465T and an older 765, I'd be writing out an order for a 760LMT.  Does anyone want to buy a 465 or 765 in good condition?   ;D

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
I just purchased the Rand McNally RVNT7720LM.  It works great..  7" inch screen, has preprogramed campgrounds, parks and RV Service.  Uses Wi-Fi to download weather, current and forecasts.  The main reason I considered this GPS was because my flip up screen radio quit working and could not view my review camera.  This GPS has a connection for a camera input and it works great.  Did have a lot of problems finding a compatible cord for the camera input jack that is micro-mini plug A/V in the GPS and RCA video from the camera.  I finally made my own.  The amount of information that is on the screen at any given time is just fantastic.  Much better than any Garmin, Magellan or Tom-Tom that I have used in the past.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »
I just picked up the rand McNally rv unit as well, just used it coming back from Kansas City last week , and even though I forgot to bring the manual, found it very user friendly, probably not using it to its full potential but I like it so far.

Dave

Bill Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:42 AM »
We use our iPad and have both the Co-pilot App and the Navigon App.  While both work well, we always return to the Navigon App.  

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »
I have the Rand Mcnally 7710 and like it a lot.  Helps keep me aware of my speed, and warns of up coming curve on the road. Also makes you aware of Good Sam Parks and the Pacific Pride fuel stops.

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »
Have been using the Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 7710 for about 6 months..Love it...even keeps track of fuel expenditures.  Very intuitive.  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Steve Adams

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:25:52 AM »
We have the Rand McNally 5510 and have decided to sell it. On our last trip it turned us down 2 dead end roads within an hour. One time we had to disconnect the car and back into someone's driveway to turn around.

This is not the first time this has happened, lots of issues in Morgan Hill, CA and surrounding areas.

We will be buying a Garmin.

Steve

Doug Neal

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
We bought a Garmin 2797 this summer @
Best Buy. I like it for I think $269.00 it is a good buy.

Carol Moffett

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
We have a Motorola XYboard tablet and use Google Maps/Navigation.  It is wireless capable thru Verizon and works great, even when no signal is available.  I love the ability to hold it in my lap (not driving!  lol) and zoom in and out on satellite view.  A must when looking ahead to where you are going to see what you are heading into...ie:  truck stops, gas stations, parking lots, RV parks...add infinitem....very handy!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
We bought the Garmin 760LMT and really likr it. It considers length and height when routing.  Sometimes it may take you a different route than you anticipated, but that is because it is cautious about the routes it uses.  It warns you of grades, curves, etc. It has a lot of RV specific features.

Dennis

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
Friends of ours recently used their standard GPS (brand unk.) and were sent down a small dead end road.  Just getting out of there was a nightmare and they may have some minor damage.  This is why we use the satalite nav system.  If we are unsure we get an image and look it over for proper directions and turn arounds and room to manuver if it is in a lot.  This has saved us many times from having to disconnect and so on.

Verizon wireless
Motorola XYboard 10.1 inch

BTW - it also gives us traveling internet, video streaming, skype, and so on all for the same low price.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!