Author Topic: Winshield Rubber Seal/Gasket  (Read 4254 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Winshield Rubber Seal/Gasket
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
Since we got home from our 60 day trip, I have been cleaning and inspecting the coach. The attached picture shows the condition of the top curve of our windshield seal/gasket, which is the same for both top corners. All of the rest of the windshield seal is in good condition.

I'm guessing this is caused by stress when the frame is torqued from going over speed bumps, potholes, and some low or high curbs going in to a fuel island or parking lot.

Joel Ashley mentioned sealing his with Lexel. Do you think that will be okay here, or do I need an entire new gasket/seal? As far as I know, knock wood, there are no leaks at this time.

Thanks,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Winshield Rubber Seal/Gasket
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
Lexel is at least a temporary fix, Stan, but my gasket is cracking and disintegrating similar to yours, but more across the top than at the corners.  I've complained to BCS a couple of times, but they don't seem to consider it particularly serious.  At least I now know I ain't alone as a fretful owner.  I've got to think it is sun damage to a less than optimum material, plus its obviously not resilient to movement like it should be.  If I ever get a new gasket, I'd sure like to have input on keeping it from going to pot as quickly as the current one did.  Perhaps RV Glass Solutions or other knowledgeable experienced company has insight;  these installations are more than just about glass.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Winshield Rubber Seal/Gasket
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:03 AM »
Get a couple of windshield pics and you can work the windshield back into place. Any glass shop has them. You just mechanically work the windshield back into place.

We did it a lot until a flat tire that caused a windshield problem and Goodyear was kind enough to pay to Lazydays to reshape the opening.