Author Topic: No power to passenger side outlets  (Read 27546 times)

John Padmore

No power to passenger side outlets
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
I don't have any power to any passenger side 120v outlets. I swapped the breaker in the main panel (labeled passenger outlets) with another that I know works and there is still no power. Any ideas what to look for next....from an electrically challenged person like me? Thanks.....

John

George H. Wall

Re: No power to passenger side outlets
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Is that with OR without your inverter turned on?

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
Coach is plugged in, inverter has power.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
Check the gfci outlets in the bay as well as inside of the coach and reset them to be sure. Also on the ceiling of the bay there is a grey breaker box. Turn those off and back on again to reset those. Most all of the inside outlets are wired from the bay gfci and this breaker box that is fed from the inverter.

Later Ed

John Padmore

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »
Ed, the elec service bay only has 12v connections and no breakers. Nothing on the ceiling either. I tried to reset the one gfi outlet in the coach, but it was not tripped. Now, I started the generator and the outlets work. Could it be that one side of the coach will only work while the generator is running, and not while plugged in? Doesn't make sense to me.....thanks.

John

George H. Wall

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
Most likely, as Ed has noted, there is probably another GFCI outlet which feeds those outlets, or there is another breaker somewhere.

John Padmore

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
I don't understand, so please pardon my ignorance. If the outlets work with the generator running and not when it is off, how can the gfi or another breaker be off?? I don't get it - sorry but I am electric stupid! LOL.....thanks.

John

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
John,

If they all work with the generator running then the breakers and gfci are all set and O.K. Sounds like a contact in the transfer switch was not making contact. If you know where that is try and open it up and with all 120v sources off blow it out or clean the contacts. Also check that the screws holding the wires are tight.

later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
John,
Also check that both legs on the shore power lead are at 120V.

If you have 120V on everything with your generator running, the problem is definitely in the transfer switch, power post, or the wiring in between them. To verify this you can check and only one A/C unit will run.

Gerald

John Padmore

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
LOL- Ed, I wouldn't know if the transfer switch was sitting on the living room floor staring at me! Now, I looked in the Patriot's supplement manual and it says it is located on the DS, behind the rear wheels. Can you give me a description of what I am looking for? Plastic, metal, big, little, lots of wire s coming out of this thing??? This is stuff I have never seen before.

Gerald, I am plugged into my home and since all of the other 120v stuff is working I just assumed that all was well there....thanks.

John

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
John,
You said that you are plugged into your house. What type of service are you plugged into, 30A (three wire plug) or 50A (four wire plug)?

Gerald

John Padmore

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
I am on a 15 amp cord into the 50 amp cord with an adaptor.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
John,
The highest probability for your problem is a defective adapter in your power cord. If you are using multiple adapters, the defective one will be the one that goes from 3 wire service to 4 wire service.

Gerald

John Padmore

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
Do you mean the 50 to 30 amp and 30 to 15 amp adaptors? They are both new - not that I means they couldn't be defective. Any way for an electrical genius such as myself to check? ......thanks.

John

Gerald Farris

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
John,
If you do not have a volt meter, use a different 30 amp to 50 amp adapter to see if that corrects your problem.

Gerald