Author Topic: Exhaust brake  (Read 2215 times)

Mike Nunn

Exhaust brake
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:44:46 AM »
Is there any danger in the engine reaching too high rpm's with the use of the exhaust brake?  Should the coach be slowed to a certain speed before engaging the exhaust brake?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Exhaust brake
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »
There have been numerous discussions on this forum about your question... and recently again, I might add.  If you do a search, then you should find most of the related threads.

Here is the most recent discussion:  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1374847063/s-12/highlight-exhaust+brake/#num12

I found a truck shop in Pasco, Washington that will reprogram the transmission software to allow the Jake Brake to operate in the higher gears and, importantly, not force a gear reduction from 6th to 4th or 5th to 4th.  My brother had his reprogrammed last week, and I plan to have mine reprogrammed this week.  Cost is one hour minimum shop time... or about $100, more or less depending upon the shop's rate.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Exhaust brake
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »
As your reading of the threads David refers to will reveal, Mike, your diesel's system is programmed to protect itself in several ways, including over-revving.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat