Author Topic: Key West Campgrounds  (Read 9153 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Key West Campgrounds
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
Hey fellow members,

Need some of your opinions on key west camping.

Thanks

Peter and Connie Bradish

Re: Key West Campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
Use rvparkreviews.com
Parks in Key West and nearby are all very expensive.
We think the best bet is to join Passport America and Stay at the Jolly Roger Travel Park in Marathon. Drive down to Key West for the day. Parking is expensive in Key West but a lot cheaper than trying to find a campground.
Connie B. 8)

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:37:16 AM »
The very best is Bluewater Key RV Park.  You can contact them by either www.bluewaterkey.net or www.bluewaterkey.com.  The .net is individuals that rent for owner independently of the Association.  The .com is the company that is on-site and also manages the association.  There are others like Boyd's, but nothing like Bluewater Key,  If you are military, the NAS has a great RV campground, but normally you have to dry camp for a couple weeks before you get a site with hookups.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edie and Marty Hochberg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
I have stayed, and enjoyed my stay, at Sunshine Key RV Resort.  It is less expensive than Boyd's (which is in Key West and VERY TIGHT for a large rig).  It is also far less expensive than Bluewater which is about 10 miles from KW.  Sunshine Key is between Marathon and Big Pine which places it about 40 miles from KW, about 15 miles closer to KW than Jolly Roger.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
We have stayed at Jolly Roger in the past and have spent the last three winters at Sunshine Key (MM 39).  We prefer Sunshine Key.  There is a KOA at Sugar Loaf which gets you 15-20 miles closer to Key West.  Bahia Honda State Park Campground is around MM 36.  Beautiful waterfront sites but somewhat difficult to get into and I think stays are limited to two weeks.  Knights Key is at the east end of the Seven Mile Bridge (Marathon) but they do not have sewer.  Have fun.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna 41'
400 HP Cat C-9

Sean Donohue

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
If you are retired military, there is a RV camp there, need to reserve to get in and there are two parks on the base. One is tight and the other located off the water. We stayed there  a few years ago and it is nice but you need to have your own transportation, if you are going to be living the Key West High Life... the gates are guarded and not friendly to those with out a DD...

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
We have always stayed at Bluewater Key mentioned above at mile marker 12.5 and glad we did.  

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
Bluewater Key RV resort is at MM 14.3...  On the Campground at NAS KW, I do not think they take reservations.  It is set up as a rotation system.  You start in the field (no hookups) and after a certain number of days (about 2 weeks) you go the next level of sites grass/gravel with water and electric, then again you move to the better paved with water and electric.  That rotation system continues throughout your stay....
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:28 AM »
Karl we always had reservations and there is no grassy field.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:05:58 AM »
Richard,
Karl was talking about NAS KW (Naval Air Station at Key West), where there is a grassy field.

Gerald

Bill Stireman

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
You might want to try Geiger Key Marina & RV Park:  http://www.geigerkeymarina.com/  Very close to Key West.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
We found a condo RV development in Key Largo that did not market itself as a campground.  It did not show up in the usual camping references.  But, they have a rental system of private lots.  

http://www.calusacampground.com/map-of-campground.html

In 2006 we stayed in lot 228 where we fished from the patio and fed lettuce to manatees that swam buy.   A few yards away were some bushes that  grew along the opposite shore.  I put my rubber boat in the water.  Off of a light spinning rod I caught a big fish.  I released it because I had no idea what it was or if it was edible.  It was fun!

BJ says, "Beautiful, quiet and nice big paved sites."