Author Topic: Residential refrigerator advise  (Read 8289 times)

Robert Mathis

Residential refrigerator advise
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
I am seriously considering replacing my Dometic fridge with a Samsung 197. I would be interested in any comments from those of you who have done this. What do I need to look out for if I do this? Any hidden pitfalls? I am going to have to have the windshield replaced due to chips acquired on the trip to Alaska, and I have a couple of other minor things to get repaired, and plan to take the coach to Alliance when scallop season is over after Labor Day.

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Residential refrigerator advise
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Robert,

Please search the Forum for several previous threads on this subject.

It occurred to me, the best time for replacement would be when your windshield is out.  That is an easier way to remove and replace the refrigerator through the front.

Larry.

neil omalley

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
Bob: Why are you replacing your DOMETIC?  I have an'05 Thunder with a residential.  I am very happy with it. Some of the considerations: If you dry camp often( I do not) you will a) have to run your generator or b) have a strong solar system to keep the house batteries up. If you get really anal about keeping things cold, you will have to run your genny going down the road, whereas with the ability to switch to propane eliminates this step. I have no qualms about driving all day with just the inverter on because the fridge doesn't get opened that often and will stay cold for the most part.If it's SUPER HOT, I will run my genny anyway to keep the roof a/c/s on and his will ,of course,power the refridge.  When I plug in- the refridge will of course act as normal.  

If you choose to trade out your Dometic , do it while the windshield is out for replacement. The only way you can get a refrigerator into a coach is to remove the windshield. It would be a shame to take out the window twice.  

P.S. be sure to take some serious measurements so you won't have to do cabinetry work.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:06:02 PM by 5 »

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:23:08 AM »
I am not happy with the way the Dometic fails to maintain temperature, it wil get to about 50 degrees during the day when driving, and the Samsung is about half again as big. We never dry camp, so that isn't a real consideration. When we travel, we almost always run the genset to run the a/c's since it is so hot down here. My only real concern is whether the inverter we now have will be sufficient to run the fridge if we don't run the genset when driving, I figure if we are ever going to do this, now would be the time, since we will have to have the windshield replaced now.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:18:27 AM »
Bob,

I have not done the replacement on a Beaver coach, but I did do it to a Country Coach.  I replaced the four door Norcold with thee french door, pull out freezer Samsung.  

You have an AC power outlet at your current reefer but chances are it is not hooked up to inverter power.  This is easy to do. The Samsung will work fine on a 2000 watt inverter.

If you have any questions please send email to drcsue@comcast.net. My phone is 352-2434-3138.  I am not too far from Alliance.

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:11:16 PM by 5 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:01 AM »
We replaced our 4-door Norcold with the Samsung RF197 over two years ago and have been very satisfied.  The units were brought in through the windshield which eliminated any concerns about whether or not they would fit through the door.  

Contrary to statements made above, it is not necessary to run the generator when traveling.  We routinely drive 6-8 hours a day and when we park the batteries are nearly as well charged as when we left.  The Samsung uses only ~100 watts on the average which isn't much more than the Norcold does when running off propane.  Sure, if you dry camp a lot you will have to use your generator to re-charge, but we don't so we don't care about that.

The Samsung keeps things truly cold like a refrigerator should, but the biggest benefit is the extra storage space.  The huge freezer is a vast improvement over what you get in an RV fridge.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Joel

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
Another alternative is to replace your cooling unit with an Amish unit, I did, and it is great!

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:05:24 AM »
+1 on going with the Amish.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:52:53 AM »
Our Norcold failed last month when we arrived in Chicago, so I called and made arrangements to have a factory installation of the Amish unit done the next day by JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana, In. Removal and installation took about two hours + 3 hours for testing the new unit. we are very happy the Amish unit.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
What was the approximate cost of the Amish unit installed?  

George H. Wall

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
I believe my cost, shipped to my installer, was @ $1300, with 3 hrs of labor for installation. It is a much superior unit to the orig., with no problems of fire possibilities.

George H. Wall

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
In my previous post, labor was PLUS the aforementioned cost.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
Mine was a year earlier, but the cost was similar.  Although I paid to have mine installed, if you are handy, it isn't a difficult installation and could easily be DIY.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 03:45:12 AM »
Just paid $1,055 for the unit and $300 for factory installation in Shipshawana here is the link the units are actually built by JC Refrigeration
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Factory-Installed-1200LR-Norcold-Brand-New-Amish-Built-Cooling-Unit--P2210446.aspx

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »
Well, let me say that my $2000 + installation of the Amish Cooling Unit yielded a nightmare!  Had it done by the RV Shack in Livingston Texas in June and the thing has not worked right since.  Sitting still in Livingston, it was able to get down to 35 degrees but after 30 minutes on the road would jump to 50+ degrees.  Complained to the installer and they relooked at it ... total of 16 hours altogether (install and relook) but no joy.  RRV Shack said it was installed correctly and JR says it must have been installed IN-correctly and allowing external air into the unit ... I took temperatures on the cooling unit which JR indicated the unit was working okay.  

So we are now in Yuma (110+ temps) and sitting still, the unit will get down to mid 40s over night and then will go up to 70s by the end of the day.  Only recourse now is to have Patty and Rob Pierce R&R the unit to determine whether it is a bad unit or install.  Either way, we plan to go back to the manufacturer or installer for reimbursement!

In retrospect, I should have gone with a residential unit.