Author Topic: SiriusXM antenna  (Read 5479 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
SiriusXM antenna
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Our coach didn't come with satellite radio installed, however it did come with a Ford OEM radio that was "satellite ready". I have purchased an adapter that plugs in to the back of the radio, and a compatible XM receiver, and we a now (sometimes) enjoying satellite radio while traveling. So far, I have the antenna velcroed (such a word?) to the driver's side window, high above the curtain. It works fine if the coach is traveling in the best direction, otherwise, the signal is intermittent. I've searched and searched for a way to get the antenna wire outside the coach without drilling a hole. I have a couple of ideas.

1. Since I plan to change the porch light to a motion sensor LED, would it be okay to thread the antenna wire through the same hole that the wires for the light go through?

2. Right next to the porch light is the power awning over the door. The controls for it are in the cabinet above the entry door. Could I thread the wire through the hole that has the wires for the awning?

3. In either case, can I just seal the hole with Lexel?

4. Once I get the little antenna (picture attached) on the roof, would it be okay to just seal it to the roof with Dicor? I would also seal the wire. I'm scared to death to drill a hole in the roof. We've had this coach almost 2 years and have never had a drop of water inside. (knock wood)

5. What is the best place to have the antenna on the roof? The SiriusXM people are ignorant of motor homes and expect you to put that antenna on the rear of your car at an optimal angle.

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: SiriusXM antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
I had the same installation for about a year and finally install the out side antenna in the roof the system now works great going N & S.
We did need to drill a hole to get the wire into the roof location. we use a self leveling roof compound to seal things up and so far no leaks
in 3 years.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
I ran the cable for the sat radio antenna through the same hole as the TV sat dish cables were run through. I used the self leveling
sealant to reseal the hole after pulling the radio antenna cable in to place.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
Thank you Jerry & Harvey.

Did you put the little black antenna out in the middle of the roof or next to the satellite fittings?

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
Stan
We have never had XM radio until we upgraded the coach recently.  Does this require a subscription to XM?  
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »
Keith,

Yes, it requires a subscription. If you already have the installation, just call them at 866-635-5020 Monday – Saturday 8 am – 11 pm, Sunday 8 am - 8 pm ET and they will send a satellite signal to your receiver. That's all there is to it.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »
Stan,

You can eliminate another hole, if you use the refrigerator vent as a conduit.  I have used it for solar panel wires.

Larry

MarcRodstein

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:20 AM »
You do NOT need an outside antenna at all. I mounted my Sirius antenna on the inside of the front cap above the TV, and got great reception. I mounted it with high temperature Velcro and ran the wire down the "A" pillar. Never made any roof pentration and it worked great.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »
I have my XM antenna sitting on the dash close to the windshield secured with velcro and get very good reception....NO holes.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
Thanks all for the responses. I'm going to try Marc or Leah's ideas first. No holes.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad