Author Topic: Radiator Surge Tank  (Read 9532 times)

harry kew

Radiator Surge Tank
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
1999 Patriot 40 ft. Cat 3126 ......anyone know the part no. of the rad overflow tank. Looks like it starting to deteriorate in the center facing towards the back,there is small droplets of antifreeze forming in this area. I have tried the search but cannot come up with a part no. Thank you for any help!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:22:58 PM by 235 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Radiator Surge Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Harry
Do you mean the 'surge tank'?  When you open the engine compartment door in back, there is a wite plastic tank.  This is 32 inches wide and has a radiator cap on top.
The overflow tank is usualy a small squareish bottle (also plastic) that has a small line running up to the radiator cap.

The surge tank was available through Ford but as of last month they are no longer supporting this part.  After much searching I found the last two in the country and they are no doubt gone by now.
Good news, Beaver coach sales had an all steel version engineered and built.  They had several in stock as of a few weeks ago.  I got one and it fit right in and will likely last the life of the coach.  Yes they cost more but it is a one time and done unlike the plastic ones.
Call Beaver Coach Sales
1-800-382-2597 (parts/Larry)

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

harry kew

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
Thanks Keith, yes it's the surge tank. Do you know the part no. That Ford used for this tank? I'm in Canada maybe they can do a search hear and see if they can come up with one.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
the part number you are looking for is Ford part # F6HZ-BA080-B. However, Keith is correct the stainless steel tank is a much better solution. We had one installed by Jeff at Bend RV Repair last week. If you still opt for the plastic surge tank the advise on the forum in prior articles recommends replacing the existing pressure cap with a 7 lb. cap.

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
The original part number on mine was F5HT-8A080-HA.  The replacement number was F6HZ 8A080B.  I got mine on Ebay for around $100 early this spring.

Any idea what the cost of the all steel tank is?

Steve

Carol Moffett

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
   We had left Beaver Coach Sales, in early Aug., after purchasing our new to us '02 Marquis.  We went straight to Brazel's in Centralis WA as they have a very nice RV park in conjunction with their RV repair business.  With this new coach we thought it best to stay somewhere we were familiar with and in case we had trouble (our fingers were crossed) we would be in like Flynn!  ALAS!  Despite the crossed fingers, we discovered that our surge tank was leaking from a large crack in the bottom!
   We could not find that surge tank ANYWHERE.  I called every place on-line I could Google while Keith called all of his sources at home.  After all, we had just replaced this same tank in the old Patriot a year ago!  Easy Peazy, right?  Wrong!  Brazel's had no luck.  We were told at every turn that this part was unavailable and no longer being made and in fact, the factory was in the process of re-tooling.  Huh.  So we called BCS to see if they had a solution.  They did.  They saw this coming and engineered a new tank.  An all metal tank.  They sent us one free of charge!  Are they awesome or what?  They REALLY go above and beyond for their customers, let me tell you!  You can't go wrong with these folks!
   The cost for the new tank was approx. $400.00 and guaranteed for life.  Maybe a bit pricey at the onset but you never have to worry about that dern tank again!  The old tanks lasted approx. 2 years, on average.  At $115-$250 a pop, that adds up.
We installed it ourselves.  Very easy job.

Hope this helps!   ;D
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~