Author Topic: Wind Speed Sensor  (Read 7952 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Wind Speed Sensor
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »
I have the care free eclipse with the wind speed sensor on our 2005 Patriot Thunder. I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the sensitivity for it. At present it will roll up even at just a slight breeze. I would like to be able to make it a little less sensitive when set on high. The book says it should react with a 12 mile an hour wind or gust. What I'm seeing now seems a lot less than that even when set on high. Does high mean more sensitive or less sensitive? Thanks for any thoughts!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Wind Speed Sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »
Larry I would call the factory, I just changed my wind sensor(Girard) and the factory tech knew the location and also offered to help me do the adjustment, so far I have not made any change on the Girard unit but if I see any issue I plan to call them. The forum may have a thread on this issue if you can use the search "awning"  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
Thanks Jerry! I did check the forum and did not see anything specific to this. I do have the manual for the Eclipse Awning and did not see anything in it about being able to adjust the sensitivity on this awning, so I thought I would take a shot at asking the question. It looks like it's preset on the control board with no option to adjust it but I will call and find out. Thanks for your response!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
Larry,

You may find there is a difference between Girard service and Care Less service.

The other Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
You might get more info out of BCS in Bend than CareLess.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
My 05 Monterey had a switch low, med, and high wind on the control for the eclipse

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
"High" is higher wind speed.  

Seems like I read somewhere a person could adjust the sensitivity, beyond the obvious speed switch, with (potentiometer?) screws behind the switch panel.  But such a move is not condoned by the manufacturer.

Having had an awning blow off a previous coach, I'd rather be safe with an active sensor than sorry with awning components and coach body parts damaged, so if you do adjust things don't go too far.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
I hear you Joel, the only reason I am even considering this is because my wife and I have gotten in the habit of not using the wind smart when were with the Thunder because with the slightest breeze it rolls up. Then we end up leaving the coach and remembering while we're gone that we did not switch on that mode. I agree it's a better idea to remember to turn it on if we leave, I just thought maybe I could adjust it a little so we could just leave wind smart on all the time. I will call BCS right now and visit with Ken. Thanks for all your thoughts!  :)
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
I know.  I get preturbed too when the thing won't stay out while we're at the rig.  But if I turn off the sensor I then tend to be distracted from whatever else I'm doing by my memory of that old awning incident, ca. 1989.  

It was a 100+ degree day, with a very light breeze.  The kids and grandkids had just left camp for home.  I put out the awning, grabbed a beer, and flopped on the sofa looking out the window enjoying the lake view.  Within one minute a strong gust came up the slope off the lake (Owyhee), and I stared in bewilderment as the awning arms dis-riveted from the coach side and the whole thing parachuted over the roof.  We were lucky the arms didn't slam into the streetside wall (behind my sorry self) as many others have experienced, doing considerable damage.

I spent several hours in that infernal heat topside, as the afternoon grew warmer, trying to remove the dozens of screws holding the awning to the top rail, and securing the awning and arms to the roof in a bundle safe for travel.  

As an aside, and with apologies for being a tad off-topic, that was topped a year ago on Canada 1 in the Rockies when the main awning motor shaft let go the roller tube at 60 mph, and the thing rolled right out (CareLess Eclipse).  Good thing we were in the righthand lane!  This time the material slipped right out of the Alumagard cover (at the top rail), the scissor arms slamming out at their terminus with subwoofer sound enough to make us both jump out of our seats, the wife in a literal panic as it was all on her side.  It took a half mile to find a safe place to pull over, and that ended up with the mechanism hanging over a steep downslope, material flopping in the wind making it that much harder to get under control.  The story gets long, but suffice it to say that even with a new BCS-replaced motor and tube end up there, I'm nervous on the road   :o.  I'd feel better if I could find a fail-safe way to secure that roller tube that didn't involve getting on the roof with ropes again!

The motor and shaft were just fine;  it was the tube end where a worn aluminum port engages the steel shaft.  But CareLess won't sell just the tube end - of course you have to buy the entire drive mechanism.  Beware - if your Eclipse awning arms start making funny sounds when extended or retracted, stop using it until a knowledgeable tech can examine why, and checks the solidity of the driveshaft/tube cap engagement!  Any binding of the arms can cause the shaft to force itself in the aluminum cap until the port wears from "square" to circular, leaving little to keep the tube from freewheeling and rolling open on its own with the slightest road bump.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:59:39 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:41 AM »
Wow, you have definitely been through the battle with the awning!! That's good stuff to know. My wife left ours out without the wind smart on here in Colorado when a big thunder storm came in. Needless to say the wind did do a number on the awning but there does not seem to be any damage. The only thing I noticed is the fabric is not completely covered by the alumaguard. I had an RV tech look at it and he thinks the fabric just got a little stretched by the wind, mechanically it is working normally. Our neighbor on the site next to us said the awning was really dancing. He called the park office to see if they could call us and let us know but we never received a call. I am hoping stretched fabric is all it is, guess we will see. Thanks again Joel
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »
On further research, the anemometer (or "direct response" movement device in models after about 2007) simply plugs into the control box behind the switch plate, and I see no adjustment screws associated as I'd thought I'd read about.
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/docs/tech/discontinued/052987-002r5.pdf
I think Girard used the same control switch box as CareLess did.  I guess the thing works by measuring the frequency of contact open/close continuity as the anemometer shaft turns (the cups on the roof).  This frequency activates the awning close switch as rotation speed increases to set limits.  I sense those limits are stone-etched in the circuit board.

Perhaps if a guy could apply some sort of mild retarder on the anemometer shaft, making it just slightly harder to spin, that would have the desired effect.  But making such a modification reliable might take an engineering mind greater than mine.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat