Author Topic: Norcold Door Seal  (Read 3311 times)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Norcold Door Seal
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
The refrigerator door seal has a depression at one point.  This air leak causes frost to form on the cooling fins.  Norcold wants $270.00 for both frig and freezer seal set (only sold in sets.)  Has anyone found an alternative replacement solution?

Larry

Edward Buker

Re: Norcold Door Seal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:05 AM »
Larry,

You might try gently heating it with a heat gun and pulling on the depression to see if you can reform it. That gasket came out of a heated mold to form it. The trick is to keep raising the temperature in steps without going so far as to deform or melt it. Seems like at $270 you do not have much to lose. May take a pair of gloved hands to pull up on the depressed point when it is heated....good luck.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking when I first read your post, Larry.  

A hair dryer or heat gun at just the right distance. And an Ove Glove to press alongside the dimpled area of the gasket for a minute or more, to pucker it out, then holding through a cool down after withdrawing the heat.  With just the right amount of heat, side pressure, and timing, hopefully the gasket's dimple will be less obvious.  If not too severe, air leakage via a gasket warp can be compromised with an application of vaseline across the problem area too.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »
Thank you both.  I will empty the frig later this week and try the heat treatment.  

Larry