Author Topic: Fuel Tank Capacity  (Read 7431 times)

Dennis Crawford

Fuel Tank Capacity
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me the accurate capacity of the fuel tank on my 2005 Montery?  It is Huntington IV. model. if that makes any difference.  I was always told it was 100 gallons, but the fuel gauge is at 3/4 it takes over. 30. gallons.  I just would like to know  if I have a guage problem.

Thanks

Keith Oliver

Re: Fuel Tank Capacity
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
Once you get to know your mileage, you can accurately predict the size of your fill-up without reference to the fuel gauge.  (Mine enters the red zone at 1/2 a tank)

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Dennis,
None of our fuel gauges are very accurate. Silverleaf makes a very accurate fuel gauge that you can install that works with their system, but it is very pricey.

Gerald

Tim Westman

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
Dennis,

Our old coach (2005 Monterey Laguna IV) had a 100 gallon tank.  What I found over time was that my gauge wasn't very linear.  The first quarter went slowly while the last would go quickly.  Your gauge/fuel usage sounds very similar to mine.  I certainly don't recommend relying on the last quarter!

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Dennis,

While crawling around under my coaches, I was able to see the capacity printed on the side of the tank.  You may want to try that.  The '98 Patriot had a 109 gallon tank and the 2003 Marquis has a 148 gallon capacity.  

Larry

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
We have a 2005 Monterey Laguna IV, the same as yours except for the interior colors. Our fuel tank is 109 gallons. It sounds like you don't have an owner's manual. If you'd like copies of the pages (covers all Beaver models for 2005) that shows specifications like that, I will be happy to send them to you in .pdf format. Or any other pages you'd like. You can email me at therealsimpsons@comcast.net

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »
Our '06 Monterey is 109 gallons.  I think that is the same across all submodels, and likely the same as your '05, as Stan comments.

Like Tom, except in rare circumstances, I start looking for fueling locations when the guage is at 1/2.  I can usually count on 50-60 gallons going in at that point.  As others point out, there are guage inaccuracies;  other than the guage itself, these could possibly be due to long double filler neck tubes, the effects of foam-back and temperature considerations at fillup, or other variables.  Your guage probably is just as good as any of ours, Dennis.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
The gauge on our 2000 PT is a bit weird in that it sits on full for an amazingly long time before it starts dropping.  Once it's at 3/4 and from than on is pretty much spot on.  I.e when we reach 1/2 and the silverleaf indicates 65 gallons used it take right around 65 gallons to fill...depending of course on the slope at the fuel pump.  After leaving 7 Feathers we stopped at the Pilot heading N and took 80 gallons which agreed with the fuel gauge and the silverleaf.  Of course and gen or Hurricane running time would make a difference.

Have you checked yours at the intermediate levels over several trips??

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »
Our PT behaves just like Dick's and the gauge is just as accurate at 3/4, 1/2 and even 1/4.  When we took it to BCS a month ago Ken C thought they might have to pull the fuel tank so he asked me to bring it in pretty empty.  I wasn't real happy about doing that, but I did.  When I filled it up after BCS was finished servicing it, it took almost exactly what I thought it would based on the gauge. (And, no, they didn't have to pull the tank to do what was needed.)