Author Topic: Brake controller  (Read 2324 times)

Dave Cunningham

Brake controller
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »
Hey just getting my 03 Marquis ready to head off to Oregon and I was installing an electric brake controller today and I was wondering if anyone else had done it, as with most Beavers there are three spare wires in the electrical bay that run to the rear, which I used for the brake control lead and 12 volt power to the trailer, my question is , what is the best terminal to hook up the constant 12 volt power. The controller says to install a 30 amp fuse and connect directly to the battery, which is obviously next to impossible, and which ignition switched terminal would be best to supply 12 qvolts to the trailer?  also under the dash right where you would normally install the controller there are three factory wires that are dead ended with blue butt connectors, but I can't find them anywhere in the electrical bay. Just wondered if they were pre-wired for the brakes , the wires are white , red and black , 12 gauge.

Thanks,

Dave

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Brake controller
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »
Dave,

It is best to connect the hot wire from the coach to the trailer, directly to the battery through a fuse or circuit breaker.  Using the wire that runs from the battery to the electric bay and back to the rear of the coach creates a long resistance and the voltage drop is unnecessary.  You can save about 65 feet of wire by going straight to the battery with a 12 gauge wire.  I have taken the short route on two coaches.  

Most wires installed by the factory have printed on each wire, about every 6 inches, the purpose of the wire.  If not so marked, they may have been installed after market.

Larry