Author Topic: Insulation replacement under bed  (Read 4883 times)

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
Insulation replacement under bed
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
The insulation under our bed (overhead the CAT) is disintegrating.

I would like ideas on what to use to replace it. I need something fairly rigid.

Larry F.
Larry Fritz

Paul Schwalen

Re: Insulation replacement under bed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
Hi Larry,

I just replaced the insulation above my Cummins ISL.  Found the same stuff that was original at a large insulation supply house - it is 1" Soundfoam sheets of 32" X 54" at around $56/sheet.  These sheets have foil on one side, I used a liquid adhesive they recommended, plus some washers and screws every so often.  Hard part of job was removing the old insulation which was deteriorating badly and came off in pcs with a wide putty knife. I also used some silver HVAC tape for the joints.

Good luck,

Paul

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
Are you gentlemen talking about the insulation/foam stuff in the ceiling of the engine compartment? Since day one of ownership of our coach, a large chunk of the insulation described above (with the foil on one side) has hung down from the ceiling of the engine compartment, and all of my attempts to re-attach it were so unsuccessful, I finally just threw the piece out.

It was on the right half of the compartment, and was apparently at one time attached to some styrofoam type of material in a framework of sorts in the engine compartment. I used heavy duty velcro and that lasted for about a year. Then I tried velcro again, along with liquid nails. Then I tried stapling it to the styrofoam. None of these solutions worked.

Do I really need this piece? It was about 36 x 36. The stuff on the ceiling of the left half of the engine compartment is above and supported by the framework mentioned above. Perhaps it was an attempt by the PO to insulate it further than the OEM.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:17 AM »
Stan I also had an issue on our 06 thunder, I did repair with a panel adhesive and metal duct tape, I think the insulation has some important benefits, 1. it's added fire protection. 2.the insulation adds a heat shield from the engine compartment keeping the bedroom cooler, and last 3. Reduced engine noise in the cabin.  

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
Thanks, Jerry. I'm going back at it!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:35 AM »
Just noticed on my 06 Thunder that a big chunk is lying on the valve cover there must be a better way to hang it up??
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
Seems like panel/construction adhesive, HVAC Aluminum tape, and I would add some fender washers and screws if at all possible. Hard to beat a screw fastener with a fender washer if you can get a bite with a self drilling screw.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
If you do not have clearance or the ability to get screws and washers in place there is a marine kit of pins and push on retainers made for this purpose. You use 3M fast dry 5200 sealant to bed the pins and mounts in place, push the foam over the pins when the mounts have cured and then retain them with the washers and friction clips. You should be able to trim any excess pin length with some side cutters. If that is troublesome in place then pre trim them to length before mounting. I would still use adhesive on the foam panels along with some of these fasteners.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349105&id=940253

I noticed that this link did not get you to the item...enter 302154 for an item number in the search box.

Later Ed

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
One one of my go-rounds with this issue, I tried industrial/construction strength Liquid Nails. Result: useless waste of $. Thanks for the additional tips.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Tim Westman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Stan,

I found a high temperature adhesive at Lowe's and that did the trick for me.

Tim