Author Topic: Polishing 3M protective coating  (Read 4949 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Polishing 3M protective coating
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:26:43 AM »
So our sort of new coach has the 3-M protective plastic on the front cap and it looks like heck.  
Having had some success with cleaning up plastic headlights, I tried some of the same tricks on the softer 3-M but to no avail.  I was able to reduce the scratches some but the cloudy / dingy look came right back.  A recent article in the FMCA magazine addressed this and 3-M consulted with the result being the film should be removed. This is tedius and expensive to replace.
Good news!
A supplier was checking my windshield gasket and we talked about the 3-M.  He tried a product he happened to have on his truck.  After about two minutes of rubbing and buffing the scratches were almost gone as was the milky discoloration.  I have kept an eye on the spot he did for about two weeks of sun and rain and the discoloration has not returned.  This is the best looking spot on the whole front cap.
The product is Novus #2 Plastic Polish.  There is also a #1 (very fine) and a #3 (coarse).  I am told that this is only available at a Novus dealer but can be purchased in a quantity large enough to be worth while.
Since we are some distance from a Novus, it will take some time for more information.  If anyone tries this, could you post here yor impression of this product?  Looks to me like one could expect a result of 80 % of new.  

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

Re: Polishing 3M protective coating
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:29:21 AM »
I need some!  Who is Novus and where do I find them?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »
Novus is the windshield repair company.  There is a web site for individual contractors in your area.  www.novusglass.com

Let me know!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:45:16 AM »
Novus Plastic Polish in #1, #2, and #3 is available on Amazon.com for about $15.00

Use this BAC link     http://goo.gl/JxiXex
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:03:02 PM by 1 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:52:26 AM »
Thanks Roy, hadent thought to look there.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roger Bowton

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Most Harley Davidson dealers also carry it for the windshields on bikes.

Bill Sprague

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
When I readthe first post I was all ready to suggest Novus, being in the sign industry for many years we have used that stuff many many times , it should be available at any store that sells plexiglas or plastic products, it works really well.