Author Topic: Yellowed Headlights fix  (Read 5831 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Yellowed Headlights fix
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »
I have tried this on headlights from the 1980's to the 2000's and never found one it didnt work extreemly well on.

Tools needed;
McGuires medium grade compound (about $6)
McGuires Ultimate compound (about $7)
Plastix compound (about $7)
Cotton towel and Microfiber towel
0000 steel wool
600 grade sand paper

Use sandpaper only if the headlights are realy yellowed not just foggy.  Go lightly and just to get rid of the yellowing.
Use steel wool with medium pressure in straight lines to smoothe nicks and scratches.  Headlights should look evenly obscured but smoothe.
With cotton towel and medium compound, go in straight lines but oposite direction of previous step.  Wipe with microfiber towel and repeat this step.
With same cotton towel but a clean spot use the ultimate compound in circular motion repeating this step with a drying and wipe with microfiber between each treatment.
When the headlight looks near new, use the cotton towel and the plastix for the ultra fine polish look.

I bought some "OZ" cabinet polish and will use this as a final sealer next time I do this.

I spend about 20 minutes on each headlight if they are extreemly bad.  Beats the heck out of $260. for new ones at Ford.

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
Re: Yellowed Headlights fix
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
Hi Keith!
I've tried the Plastix alone and it just gets yellowed again very soon. I think you need to use one of the powerballs on an electric drill to get the plastic buffed up. I'll have to try the McGuires and steel wool.
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
My tail lights were yellowed (can't tell so much on the red and amber, but the  backup showed the yellow) and getting opaque.  I used the 3M kit that I bought at NAPA ($25 or so).  Follow the directions, much the same protocol as Keith's, with similar results.

Lloyd Hall

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:28 AM »
I have a 2002 Honda CRV whose headlights had turned very yellow. This week when I had the car washed at a car wash facility the attendent wanted $50.00 to polish and clear the lens. I almost had it done. I then remembered I had "Gel- Gloss " a fiberglass and cleaner and polish for tubs and showers Boats-RV'S- Spa's Also excellent for Marble Vanities Stainless Steel and Ceramic Tiles at home. I used some Paper towels and the " Gel-Gloss " and in less than 10 minutes all the yellow was removed and the Headlights were as clear as you would want them. I even took the car back to the car wash and the attendent was impressed with the results. You can buy "Gel Gloss" at Home Depot for about $6.50 a can. I have no idea how long the lenses will stay clear like they are now. Right now they look great. There is enough polish in a can to do 10 to 20 Headlights. It is in a liquid form and is very easy to apply by hand.

Doc. Hall

Richard Crane

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:22 AM »
Keith,
I used the Sylvania $20. kit on our 2000 Marquis headlights. It took about 2 hours but they look like new. Everything you need is included.
Available at auto parts stores.
Richard & Judie Crane
Cat C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »
Turtle Wax also has a kit that works very well. I used it on our Liberty and Marquis. Available at almost any auto parts store.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp