Author Topic: Cloudiness on Woodwork  (Read 5859 times)

Brad Burgess

Cloudiness on Woodwork
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »
Hello All

We have sold our 06 Monterey to a very nice couple that I am sure will be joining BAC.  We are looking to downsize financially and I have been looking at older Beavers on the net.  Some of them appear to have some cloudiness on the cabinetry and I seem to recall some discussion on this issue in the forum a while back.  Is this common on older units and can it be repaired at a reasonable cost?

Thanks,

Brad Burgess
Currently Coachless

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Cloudiness on Woodwork
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:36:02 AM »
Brad,
Do a search on 'wood finish'. Good discussion of cause and possible solutions.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Brad Burgess

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for the direction to the search function.  I went there and read all of the posts - it seems that if the milky stuff appears it cannot be repaired.

I'm wondering if this condition would affect the value of the coach - both when I am purchasing and when I would later sell???

Thanks again,

Brad Burgess

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:41:06 AM »
Brad,
If the milky appearance is coming from dull finish on the surface, it can be removed with a good cleaner/polish like "OZ". However if it is coming from the area where the finish and the wood meet, the cabinets would have to be stripped and refinished, and that is very expensive.

This is only a problem with the high gloss woodwork in the Marquis coaches, and it does affect their resale value if it is very extensive. The problem is usually caused by high humidity environments like Florida, or the Gulf Coast, so it should not be a bad problem in Arizona unless the coach came from a humid area.

Gerald
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:20:06 PM by 5 »

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
We have a 1997 Marquis with the milky white finish on the woodwork, and one of the participants of this forum topic. We have tried almost every suggested product and have found nothing that will bring back the original, piano finish. Gerald is right in saying it would be very expensive to refinish all the woodwork, so we've accepted this look. Interestingly, most people visiting our coach say they love this look, so he may be overstating its' affect on the resale value.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:35:38 PM by 13831 »