Author Topic: Location of Smart Wheel module  (Read 6408 times)

Walt Pocock

Location of Smart Wheel module
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:26 AM »
Hello. I have enjoyed watching this forum and learning many valuable, and money saving, tips & ideas. I am now in need of help for myself. My wipers have started to intermittently activate themselves for a pass or two which will occur from every minute to a lapse of 15 minutes or more. Towards the end of the last trip the cruise control started dropping off. These issues will definitely keep you awake on a long trip.  

Called VIP & they suggested I check for a loose connection on the module. OK, easy enough, I'll lift the lid over the instrument cluster, locate the module & check the connections. Nope, not there. Look in the electrical bay left front of the coach. Nope, not there either. Same thing with the console with the shifter, the panel front of the co-pilot and all cargo bays. Can not find it. Called Beaver Sales & was told it should be where I've already looked. This is a PC model manufactured before the clock spring models.

Does anyone have a suggestion what cranny this module may be stuffed into? The coach is a 2000 Marquis Jasper with a Cat C-12.

Thank you in advance.

Walt & Dee Pocock

Steve Jewell

Re: Location of Smart Wheel module
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »
Walt,
  On my coach 2001 Marquis it is below the transmission shift pad it almost sits on the floor. If you take the covers with the map pockets beside the drivers seat off you should see it.

Steve

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »
Walt,
The smart wheel module on my 2000 Marquis is located in the driver's left arm rest below the shift panel, switches, and level control panel.

Gerald

Lyle Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:38:26 AM »
Well...I have had the same things happen to my 2000 Beaver Marqus Jasper. Wipers on then off...then on.  Cruise off then turn on then back off.  I fixed the problem by taking the smart wheel off and cleaning the brass wheel which was really dirty.  That fixed my problem...electrical.
Lyle

Walt Pocock

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »
Steve, Gerald and Lyle,
Thank you for your responses. I rechecked the left console which holds the shift panel & leveling controls. The are two devices in (under) there, and both are are labeled Allison. One black & secured to the back panel and the other a  metal enclosure labeled ECU. So I still can't locate the module.

I am going to change courses and follow Lyle's path. I will remove the wheel & clean the rings. If this is the fix I won't need to worry about the module.

Thanks again, Walt

Walt Pocock

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:41 AM »
Steve, Gerald & Lyle,
At Lyle's suggestion I removed the wheel and inspected the brass rings. They were mighty dirty. Cleaned them & the brass contacts also. On a 25 mile drive everything worked like it was supposed to. Wipers, lights flash, cruise control, horn. Everything!! Thanks all for your help.

Walt  

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
I have seen a reference to a smart wheel on several posts but fail to know what it is where it is and what it does now I understand there is a module that goes along with it. I am totally confused. I have a 98 Patriot Monticello Do I have one of these Smart Wheels and where might it be?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »
Gary,
Smart wheel is the name that is used for a steering wheel that has cruse control, windshield wiper controls and light flashing capabilities on the steering wheel itself. I do not think that any 98 Patriot was equipped with this feature.  

Gerald