Author Topic: TV Satellite Dish-Which one?  (Read 8344 times)

Ted and Fran Klimowski

TV Satellite Dish-Which one?
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »
We are planning on getting a satellite dish on our RV.  We are debating between Dish and DirectTV.  We do not full time.  So far our research states that DirectTV might have better reception but Dish allows us to shut the system on and off each month.  DirectTV you can only shut off the system once per year.  Would appreciate any comments/experience anyone has.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:33:37 PM by 5 »

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: TV Satellite Dish-Which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
We have a DirecTV dish on the roof of our Beaver. They let us suspend service each November until any time after 30 days. Typically we suspend until April 1st. They require re-activation for a minimum of 90 days, and then we are eligible to suspend again, with a max of 2 times in a 12 month period.

Since we avoid dealing with them as much as we can, we don't know if the rules have changed. Its not November yet!  :)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:40 AM »
I have Dish Network at home so it was natural to add Dish to the RV.  I pay an extra $7.00 per month on my home bill for the RV receiver.  I am able to receive HD TV from 3 different satellites with the Dish Network setup.  I am not sure how Direct TV works.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:52:30 AM »
Regardless of what Direct TV states, they allowed us to turn on and off as needed with few problems. I had a surly rep try to "enforce" their policy so I waited a few hours and called back and they turned it off for me. We subsequently switched from cable to Direct TV in the house so now I simply  move a receiver box to the RV when traveling.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Doug Neal

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »
We have Dish Network with a 722 DVR. I can tell you from experience that Dish does not like or allow a receiver with a hard drive in a MH. I get by with it because I had it installed in a house, then moved it to our coach. A short time ago I tried to upgrade to a Hopper and they would not do it because of the MH issue. My 722 receiver did die a couple of years ago after we no longer owned the home. I was able to BS my way to get it replaced in the coach, but you have to choose your words carefully. If you own a home I doubt you would have a problem. Be aware that if you want network stations you will have to use All American Direct to get them. Once you leave your local spot beam area you will no longer get your local networks. You can call Dish every time you leave a foot print but I think that is a hassle. I am satisfied with do not like their stand on the hard drive issue

Doug Neal

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
To Roy Tyler. What kind of receiver do you have. Does it have a hard drive. I ask because Dish won't let me have anything with a hard drive

Doug Neal

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
As far as quality of picture or reception is concerned, they will both be equal as it is a digital signal. Some time you may see some pixilation but that would be because of trees in the way or rain & snow.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
We have Direct TV and pay $4.95 per month for the receiver in the Beaver.

Get a friend who has Direct  TV to give you their account number when you order and you and your friend will get $10 per month for 10 months as a referral reward.

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
I have also been using a 722 Dish unit with a hard drive. We put in a switched outlet and turn it off before we leave a campsite so that the hard drive is not running. We ordered this receiver for or home and take it on the road and have had no problems with it for 3 years. We mostly watch satellite channels but if we want locals we rely on the rooftop antenna or cable from the campground when available using just the TV tuner. This allows us to record and not get hassled by Dish about the hard drive. I think if you got the 722 for your home and then later told them you have moved it to your motorhome for an extended trip, and you have no power to it when the motorhome would be in motion, then they would turn on the national network channels. Just guessing on this one....

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
It's interesting that, in some cases, Dish has been reluctant to install a receiver with hard drive in a MH.  When we decided to get sat TV we were in OR with our TT and a Carry Out antennae.  The installer came out from Lebanon and did the job with no questions asked and worked his butt off getting everything operating.  He installed a VIP722K at that time.

When we got home we decided to drop cable and go to sat in the house also,  Called Dish and entered a move order and an installer came out, put up a dish and set everything up.  We than went a couple of years moving the receiver back and forth.

Last year we had a "real" dish installed on the MH and called Dish to upgrade the house to a Hopper.  While I was at it I got an additional Hopper and Joey for the "Guest House".  I told them at the time of order the guest house already had a dish but was not in a position to just run a coax so the additional Hopper was necessary.  No problem.  

Once you get past the Dish C.S. the installer doesn't care, thet just hook it up.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
Doug
I have the VIP722K receiver that came with a Tailgater Antenna. It does not have a hard drive. You are suppose to be able to call Dish and for a one time fee of $40, add your own external hard drive.  We are not into TV enough to worry about missing a certain TV program so we do not miss having a hard drive.  They are only used for recording programs and being a retired systems engineer, I know it is just a matter of time before the rough roads will kill the hard drive anyway.

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
The Vip722k records and if it records it has a hard drive. I do not think they sell this model without the DVR feature. The hard drive will not be damaged if it is not spinning while the movement occurs.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
Except for the year we lived in an RV park with free cable, I had DirecTV since it was invented.  

I got so mad at them a few months ago I quit.  My "address of record" is in Washington.  I was in Arizona with a broken receiver.  They would not send a replacement to where I was, only to my "address of record".  

It seems that the "terms of service" have gradually moved towards it being "wrong" to have one account with receivers in both a residence and RV.  

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
Ed, you are correct.  I made a mistake. I checked and I have the 211K receiver that does not have the hard drive.  Bill, I had the same problem with Dish Network last year while I was in Quartzsite.  They would only send a replacement receiver to my "address of record".  Luckily, my problem was not the receiver but just the location of the antenna.  Once I moved the antenna slightly, I was able to receive the signal.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »
Quote from: Roy C Tyler
....Bill, I had the same problem with Dish Network last year while I was in Quartzsite.  They would only send a replacement receiver to my "address of record".  ....

The rules have changed since I signed up.  In fact, the receivers in our condo were added to the the existing motorhome account when we bought the condo.  Apparently, ha the satellite subscriber base grew to 30 or 40 million, the networks, cable companies and sports franchises lobbied the FCC.  They wanted to be sure we watched what we were supposed to watch.   As the FCC rules changed bit by bit, DirecTV and Dish had to adjust their Terms of Service agreements with customers.  Many of the changes were "anti mobile".

If I get it right, the only way that is squeaky clean is to have a "mobile RV" account and a separate "residential" account.  We used to be encouraged to mix them.  No more.  CSRs sometimes "look the other way" and make customers happy.  But, things like address changes and service can be touchy.  With DirecTV it would be OK if it were easy to suspend one account and activate the other when you go on the road.  It was not so the last time I checked.

One example of where the new rules don't fit me was when, three years ago, a DirecTV CSR told me I was committing a federal crime and was in danger of a fine when I changed my service address to get local California stations.  I waited a day, called back and a different CSR made the change for me saying "I'm really not supposed to do this."

To Ted and Fran's original question, I would not recommend DirecTV to anyone that does not "full time".  If your are full time, or intend to leave it running uninterupted, DirecTV is wonderful.  DirecTV simply does not have a good program for those that  alternate between a residence to RV.  Dish on the other hand, seems to have some better options.  I think they have one where you buy a month at a time.  

For now we are having fun watching our TV with the plain old antenna that does not hassle me or charge me.  If I were to hookup to satellite again, I think the best choice might be the Dish Tailgator.  It is highly unlikely that DirectTV will ever get another dollar from me until they have a "program" for travelers.