Author Topic: Roof Coatings  (Read 5931 times)

Edward Buker

Roof Coatings
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
When I coated my roof with Rustoleum Marine Deck paint I said that I would report back to the forum on the long term durability results. Keeping in mind that this is a relatively easy and inexpensive coating to apply, I am happy to report that two coats of this deck paint does a great job and the finish has remained reflective, caulk free, perfectly adhered, and easy to clean. This coating has four summers of exposure and has been through at least 8 pressure washings. I still see no downside to using this material as a good barrier coat for our gel coated roofs. This will be my last reporting on the durability unless something changes.

From what I see this coating should last well into the future. Original painted surface shot with the blue tape and then some of my post cleaned surface four summers later. The rear of the coach that is in the sun is dry, the forward part that is in the shade is still wet from my pressure washing. One side note, I can see no reason to remove the air conditioners etc before applying this coating, it is not thick enough to create much of a lip and the sun does not shine there...

later Ed

Keith Duner

Re: Roof Coatings
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the update Ed, very interesting and much appreciated.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Ed, I am new to this forum so I have a question.... Did you brush it on, roll it on, or spray it on?

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
Chuck,

I copied the info below from a prior post of mine...if you search on my name and Rustoleum there may be more. I used a 1 inch by 6 inch roller and could with a little pressure roller in under the solar panel a few inches and get very close to the air units. I used a brush under the air units to get the visible roof surface. I'm not a fan of thicker coatings if you ever have to refinish but would use one if I had to due to pinholes and leak issues. The deck paint would be a simple scuff job and recoat if ever needed......

After looking at several options and reading some boat forums, with users having favorable results painting decks of fiberglass boats using white Rustoleum Marine Deck paint, I opted for that paint system for my roof. The prep consisted of pressure washing the roof with a Simple Green solution. Once dry I scrubbed the roof surface with a Red Scotchbrite automotive prep pad and then washed the surface with an automotive wax and grease cleaning solvent by 3M (DX330). The prep took about 3 to 4 hours. I taped the perimeter and roof structures with two inch Scotch Blue Painters Tape (approx 1.5hrs) and then used a 1 inch by 6 inch roller to roll on two coats of deck paint. (less than 2 hours per coat and 3 quarts of paint total) This job can be completed for about $100 in about 8hrs spread over several days. Lowe's carrys the Rustoleum Marine Deck Paint and there is a sand grit system that can be added if you wanted. I opted to leave mine smooth for dirt shedding purposes and I did not find it to be any more slippery than the gel coated surface. Probably less slippery than a waxed surface. This paint is highly UV resistant and is made to hold up in marine environments. After one summer it still looks fine and no chaulking. I see no negative issues with this marine system. If needed after a number of years it could be lightly sanded and another coat of paint added, the same method that you would treat and refinish a boat deck. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:31:59 PM by 910 »

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
Ed,
 How did you protect the side walls while doing the prep work? Or was this not necessary?
(Applying Simple Green solution, and 3M wax & grease cleaner.)
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
Simple green is very mild and leaves no wax or residue. When you are done washing you want to see no beading of the water. I put the simple green in my electric pressure washer and used a white 3M pad on a handle with a swivel head for a quick scrub. That tool is used for washing boats, especially boat decks, it is a good tool for cleaning this roof surface. I then rinsed with the pressure washer and let it dry. I briefly hit the surface by hand with a 3M red scratch pad, and I mean brief, just maybe an hours worth for the whole roof. Put some DX330 on a rag and wiped the surface. I was taught by a long time auto body man to wipe with solvent on a clean rag and then wipe dry with a second clean rag changing them periodically as you go. This is an easy process and there is no protection necessary except for when you paint. When I taped with blue masking tape I allowed what would be the newly painted area, to cover the edge of the existing roof color and clear coat to help keep that clear edge tacked down over the years. That is one area that failed on my older Beaver. The clear on my roof edges on my 2002 is delaminating also now in some areas so that is a future issue...

One more thing, if you note in the photos I later removed the old satellite dish which I had never painted under. I simply washed the surface, did the same prep in that area, and rollered on two coats of the Deck Paint. I lapped over the older paint edges and it all blended in and once dry it was a seamless finish. This ability to refinish easily may be an advantage over thicker coatings, really not sure what would be involved with Rhino coatings in this regard.

In either case the chalking problem is solved and the gelcoat is protected. Consider one or the other if you plan on holding onto your coach for the long haul. From what I can see there are not a lot of good quality future coach options out there for what we have invested.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:40:46 PM by 910 »

Richard Cooper

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:51:38 AM »
Ed ---- that's a great result you got.  I know just how meticulous you are.  I followed everything and could imagine you up on your roof doing all those good things.  I remember too that your coach has a ladder on the back, but mine does not.  However, I'm writing down your process in steps and will hire someone who has a tall enough ladder and no equilibrium problems like I have.

I like your idea better than a Rhino roof and seems to me it would save me quite a large $$ amount.

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:17 AM »
Richard,

Both coatings will work. Rhino is probably better if the roof has gel coat that is in terrible shape with pinholes allowing water penetration. For most of us we just need a good barrier coat that seals the surface and stops chalking and any further sun damage. The deck paint does an excellent job with that task at a significant cost savings.

The only issue is that this is a very durable oil base paint that has a few hours of drying time so it would be best to have a building where the job could be done inside. I did the job outside but had the RV under a covered port area at my shop. I would try and find someone who has some facility that is covered.
Good luck with this.

Later Ed  

Richard Cooper

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:06:05 AM »
I think it would dry fine where I will be even though stored out in the open.  I will be at San Luis Obispo by the weekend.