Author Topic: self installation of drop down tv  (Read 4392 times)

neil omalley

self installation of drop down tv
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:19:01 AM »
has anyone done their own removal and replacement of a drop down tv?   how do you start? Is it a do-it-yourself project or is it such a pain it's not worth the effort and I should let someone (pro) do it? How does the tv mount to the moving part of the ceiling?

Bill Sprague

Re: self installation of drop down tv
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Neil,

Call Jay Todd.  He had it done by Jim Sizemore in Bend a few weeks ago and may know the details.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
Hi Neil,
I did the change over last year while I was parked in Happy Trails AZ, it's not that big a deal.

I replaced the Sony with a HD/Wifi Samsung 42" that I picked up at Costco. To remove the old Sony does take some Horse Power(a 2 man job). If you pull the screws from the covered panel you can the see the back of the Sony TV set the Samsung did bolt right into the original frame( the hole patterns are standard we have an 06 coach).

I also pull the old Sony sound system and DVD/VHS player. I replace both with a Sony home theater system. The new system does come with some very nice speakers but I decided to change all the speakers but I did change the woofer to the new Sony Woofer it was smaller and looked like a better unit then the old unit .

The new TV has 3 times the picture of the old system and the home theater is great. We now have one remote and enjoy the features offered with wifi direct including Netflix.

I did clean up the wiring what a birds nest!! I also pull all of the Satellite cables as I just don't use this feature but should you want the Sat service it's not a problem.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
Neil,

It can be time consuming but not all that difficult. The plywood covered panel must come off. You will need to find the breaker which I think is one of the ones in the bay that power the door drop function. I think it is 120V as I remember it. You will use that to stop the drop at a convenient angle point to get at the head and tail of the fasteners that hold the cover assembly and the TV.  There may be different parking angles based on which fasteners you are working on for convenience.

There are different models of drop down doors, I am discussing what was used in the original 2002 to maybe 2004 with the squared off ceiling box.

You may find that another TV requires drilling of the metal frame for mounting. Although the pattern of screws may be the same you may not like the placement on the frame. For instance there are angle supports on the bottom that you may use to rest the TV bottom on or not. If you upsize the TV you may not fit those supports as you desire. Either way the steel is drillable with sharp bits. It is a job that will probably not require much if any real modifications. I have been toying with going from a 42 inch to a 46 inch and building in a wooden face frame on the TV that dresses up the whole arrangement. That would require some extra modifications.

Later Ed