Author Topic: wiper arms  (Read 8678 times)

Frank Bannert

wiper arms
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:36:19 AM »
We own a 2002 Beaver Patriot Monticello 40'. The wiper arms seems as they do not put enough pressure against the windshield to wipe the water clean enough in a heavy rain to see real well. I have tried 2 sets of windshield wiper blades with no help.(Rain X,and Bosch). Does anyone know of how I can get the blades to put more pressure against the windshield short of replacing the arms. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: wiper arms
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:32 AM »
Frank-

Beaver Coach Sales suggested, after one of my no-longer-made factory wiper arms broke, that I replace with what's called Boomerang frameless blades and AM arms.  Stronger than the factory units of the era, they are a lot more expensive, but I gave them the go-ahead to install a pair.

Wow, what a difference.  They are a bit shorter than the factory ones, in our case, and don't cover as broad an area, but what they do cover is cleanly wiped.  The strong curve of these units (hence the name Boomerang) provides the extraordinary blade to glass contact that helps them clear water and debris so thoroughly with little if any streaking.

Check their application charts and info here:  http://truvisionwipers.com/Admin/Upload/pdf/Tru%20Vision%20Rv%202008.pdf

Make sure the arm can fit your current connection;  call TRU Vision or Ken at BCS for any advice needed, and check AM's website  http://store.amequipment.com

Amazon sells several sizes;  check to see if your correct one is available via the Amazon portal on this Club's Home page.  Replacing just the blade regularly with commonly available, less costly names like Trico, or even Rain X or Bosch... well, you've seen how that's worked for you.  Consider investing in Boomerangs.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:28:12 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bill Borden

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 04:30:38 AM »
We bought a pair of these stainless helper springs: http://www.surewipe.com/ to replace the worn out ones that were on the coach.  A world of difference and rather inexpensive.  

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »
Joel,

Do you remember which PN you bought?

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:31:20 AM »
According to the BCS receipt, the arms were AM brand 28WET, part #352-0125, though I can't find that model number on AM's website.  It's a radial, either M6 or M8.

The blades are shown as 28I BOOMA, part #23-6343.

But different coach models likely take different arms and blades, depending on the motor pivot shaft and windshield I reckon.

One fun part was threading the washer hose without it kinking somewhere or pulling off its port.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
Since my wipers are driving me nuts I will be looking into this also.  In heavy wind they lift right off the windshield and I do have the external wiper springs.

Now to figure out which mounting attachment the 2000 uses.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:21:05 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Dick-

Butch at AM sent this information applicable to a 2000 Patriot Thunder:

301-5280
 302-1240
 It should have been built with 28 inch arms and should be using 24 inch blades.

Replace with 352-0034 and either 302-1240 or 302-2240 (frameless).  The new arms will lock back and are non-corrosive.

Double flat shaft with a tapered knurl.

Butch Helland
541-327-3362
Fax 541-327-3480
A. M. Equipment

Otherwise, BCS parts guys can probably tell you.  1-800-382-2597

Be aware that although AM can supply the new arms, their frameless blades may not be the same as TRU Vision's Boomerang, which appear to have a stronger curve that may adhere to the windshield better.  

-Joel
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:05:12 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »
My blades were aged and before I headed out this summer I purchased some Trico original equipment PN blades and frames for my 2002 Marquis. I do not remember the specific size but I think there was about a 2-3 inch length difference between the wiper blades and frames that I had and the Trico original equipment that I replaced them with. I always thought that the blades looked a little skimpy and that more of the windshield area could have been wiped ever since I bought the coach. With the new longer blades I now have the floating blades not wiping the windshield curve area, as others do, and if I had to do it over I would probably go several inches shorter than the originals because they worked and wipe better. There is not enough pressure on a long blade to conform to our curved windshield.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 12:30:18 AM »
I would guess a longer blade also is more susceptible to the wind catching it.  May be partly why Ken at BCS service went with shorter than original blades on mine, as well as arms more resistant to wind and breaking (AM).  He said that Monaco went with a different wiper manufacturer, I guess to save money, for a short period that included my '06, but discovered they weren't up to snuff.   AM is out of Jefferson, Oregon, and is the arm brand that BCS used to replace mine.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Bannert

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am going to give the Surewipe springs a try. They are very reasonable in price and worth the effort if they work. I ordered a pair and springs and shipping is $19.95. If they work fine if not I guess I will try to find some new arms. Thanks for all the responses and I will let you guys know if they work.
Frank