Author Topic: RVA Hydraulics issues  (Read 4445 times)

Joel Weiss

RVA Hydraulics issues
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:05:33 AM »
This morning my RVA system was its usual self.  Some noises but they were the ones we have become accustomed to.  This evening the system makes groans and other sounds never heard before.  The jacks and slide work, but the sounds are enough to frighten us.  There's no indication of fluid leakage.  Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: RVA Hydraulics issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
We have found the http://www.rvajacks.com/ company to be very helpful addressing issues with their product.

Need to know where the sound is coming from and type of sound. IE Hydraulic Pump or scraping etc.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
I thought it was worth a followup on this one.  We finished the rest of the trip to TX without using slide or jacks in order to avoid being stranded somewhere unable to get the slide back in.  After we arrived I called RVA and spoke with Dennis Kay, the owner.  He's a nice guy who knew the entire history of his jacks on Beaver MH's.  Dennis said that Beaver had been using jacks made by Power Gear but had some kind of falling out so they wanted a new supplier.  The caveat was that the new pump unit had to fit into the spatial footprint of the old one.  That meant that RVA had to use a jack designed for 22,000 lb MH's even though the Patriot Thunder weighs 10,000 lb more.  After hearing that, IMHO it's a credit to RVA that the system lasted 14 years!

I let Dennis listen on the phone while I ran the pump and he agreed that it sounded as if a bearing has failed.  You can buy a replacement motor/pump assembly from him for ~$750 and reuse your existing manifold/reservoir.  Not only is that less costly by quite a bit, it ensures that the manifold/valve configuration is correct for your MH.

Since he happened to have a couple of these units on the shelf I now have mine and will get it installed over the next month or two.  Since we were able to extend the slide and put the jacks down, we're not going anywhere so we don't need the new pump for a while.  It's not going to be a fun job since the working clearances are small and you'll be working on your back with the system above you.  That's why I'm not going to do it myself!    :)

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »
Joel,

If the pump is located behind the passenger side rear wheel, consider hinging up or removing the body panel hiding it.  Just remove two bolts or screws at the bottom.

Larry

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:46:59 AM »
The pump assembly isn't behind a fixed body panel; it is to the rear of the battery compartment where the remote leveling panel is located.