Author Topic: problem with front slides  (Read 4698 times)

Bill Stireman

problem with front slides
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Tried to retract the front slides this morning and they won't move.  I hear a motor noise but nothing happens.  I was able to retract both rear slides as normal.  Tried a search on the subject but did not get anything useful.
Outside temp in the mid forties.  Any suggestions? :)

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey Laguna 41 ft with 4 slides
400 HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: problem with front slides
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
Bill,

First check the fluid level in the tank.

Larry

Bill Stireman

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »
Hi Larry,

When the temp got in the 50's both slides would retract.  Which tank are you referring to and where would it be located?

Bill

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
Bill,

I am not sure where the hydraulic tank and pump are located on your coach.  Some are under the front step, some behind the driver side rear wheel.  Have someone operate the slide, while you walk around outside and listen for the pump running.  Since it now operates, the fluid level may be OK.  The best solution may be to head south for warmer temperatures. :)

Larry

Sean Donohue

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:40 AM »
If the fluid froze it might have water in it... I would pull some fluid after moving the slides. I had water in my fluid and I believe it was what ruined the motor.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
I've never found ambient temperature to affect slide out operation;  they've worked in temps from 112 to 20 degrees (as long as I remember to knock any frozen snow off the slide out covers so they won't jam).  But there have been several occasions where a solenoid either failed to hold a slide in on the road or let one slink out a half inch while in storage.  I've found that in the latter instance, simply cycling the slide out a couple seconds and then fully back in fixed the issue.

Sometimes I think a solenoid O ring just doesn't stay seated completely, perhaps from a small piece of debris in the fluid or dryness, and allows holding force to relieve enough for the slide to back off a hair.  Brief system reactivation in both directions seems to flush and reseat the seal.  Under your step area should be a manifold of solenoids, two for each slide - one for In and an opposing one for Out.

Indeed you may be low on fluid or have water involved as others suggest.  But if the In solenoid is not sealing, pumped fluid may be bypassing when it shouldn't.  Solenoids can be replaced, preferably in pairs, or new rings can be put in them.  I'd also be tempted to tap on them when a slide freezes up.  However since in your case more than one slide is involved at one time, suspicion goes to the tank fluid level, then why it is low if it is.  It is also possible that if freezing temps were involved, and water is in the fluid like Sean's, ice could have jammed a solenoid seal;  but you said temps weren't that low.

BCS can probably tell you where your tank is, but I'd check in front of the steps for the tank, pump, and manifold.  Use proper precautions anytime you crawl under the coach.  My book says the fluid should be 1/4" below the reservoir cap, and it is Dexron III, but you should confirm that for your model.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:08:36 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat