Author Topic: Winegard sat dish  (Read 4939 times)

Terry Melot

Winegard sat dish
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Bought a 2002 Marquis in July.  Had a direct TV box connected to the Winegard.  No problems for first month except no DVR.
After one month, sent Direct TV box back to previous owner. Replaced original TV with 46" HD unit. (Swings down from ceiling).
Purchased a Dish receiver and converted the dip switches in the Winegard to Dish.
Now, when turned on, the sat dish finds the satellite but continues small back and forth movements (like hunting). The noise is annoying, so turn off the dish.
No problem until we change channels. Now Dish needs to change to a different satellite. Lost signal until turning Winegard on again. same thing all over. Finds the sat then begins hunting.
It worked ok with Direct TV.  Any suggestions of what I may be missing.

Also, it seems that Direct TV only uses one satellite? Any opinions as to which system is best?
BTW, after 3,000 miles and 9 RV parks, we love the Marquis Amethyst. We thought two potties to be superfluous at first, now we're glad we have two.  :)

Terry & Lee Melot
2002 Marquis
C-12

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Winegard sat dish
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
I think the Sept. issue of Family Motorcoach had an article about installing and using such a dish, but they used DirecTV.  You might reference the article for any clues, but the first thing I'd do is contact Winegard.

Others here may have the hands-on experience you request, so stay tuned.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Terry Melot

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
OK, thanks, Joel. Will check the FMCA Sept issue.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
Quote from: Terry Melot

Also, it seems that Direct TV only uses one satellite? Any opinions as to which system is best?

DirecTV uses only one satellite if you have SD only; three are used for HD.  Dish uses two for SD and three for HD.  Single LNB Dish systems always have to go back and forth between two satellites as you change channels.

The issue of "which is best" is highly subjective and is sort of like Ford vs Chevy trucks.  If you only have an older SD dish then with DirecTV you can receive all the channels without having to move the dish.  This means you can use a DVR and watch one channel while recording another.  With Dish and a simple single LNB Dish you can only record a second channel if if happens to be on the same satellite as the one you are watching.

We have a Winegard Trav'ler which points at all the needed satellites at the same time and can record any channels we wish.  Combine that with a new Genie HR44 capable of recording 5 channels at the same time and we no longer have any conflicts regarding what to watch.

Terry Melot

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
After your remarks and reading the article in FMCA magazine, we've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the Trav'ler.
Thanks for the help.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the new C41 mini-Genie is a wireless client that can provide HD signals anywhere in the MH with no coax required.  It is a brand new product and is still in short supply, but IMHO it is worth getting since you can access all programs recorded on the Genie as well as being able to tune to any channel.

Terry Melot

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »
Sounds great. Thanks.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:59:26 AM »
I think Direct and Dish have different dishes and transponders. I had Dish and when I switched to Direct I had to change over the dish and the arm. I would check with Winegard. I can not recall the cost but it was as simple to swap as a few screws.