Author Topic: Tow Bars and Baseplates  (Read 4864 times)

Dennis Crawford

Tow Bars and Baseplates
« on: November 16, 2013, 01:05:19 AM »
We have been towing a 2002 GMC Envoy with out 2005 Monterey and with our previous Montereys.  It is time to pass the Envoy on to our Grand daughter who will be driving soon.

We plan to tow our 2010 Ford Focus manual transmission.  I like the Roadmaster Falcon tow bar.  I have been to two locations to get estimates on a new baseplate.  Both facilities (including Camping World) recommended the Blue Ox tow bar.  It makes sense for ease of hookups (no heavy cross bar)  We would have to change the ends on the Falcon 2 tow bar to hook to the Blue Ox.  These adaptors are sold by both Roadmaster and Blue Ox.  I am concerned about doing this however.  Why did the roadmaster have this heavy cross bar.  Does it add to the strength.  Will I put too much pulling on the Blue Ox baseplate.  Has anyone else done this??

Thanks,  Dennis

Edward Buker

Re: Tow Bars and Baseplates
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
Blue Ox baseplates are very well made and quite strong in both material and design. I have installed four of them on various cars that I have owned and would have no reservations about using their baseplates with the right adapters. Blue OX would not offer adapters if they had reservations about crossing product lines using their baseplates.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 04:19:11 AM »
Every car may be different.  I think the difference is that Blue Ox puts a  "cross bar" behind the bumper so that it looks nicer.  On our Ford Edge, the hood and fenders had to be removed for the installation.  I think the reason was getting a "cross bar" in place.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
The Blue Ox baseplate is very strong. They do put their crossbar behind the bumper and fascia. I have had them on 4 seperate vehicles and never had any concern about the baseplate strength. The only problem I have had to date was with the one on my latest Saturn Vue. On our recent trip to Alaska, the mounting bolts loosened and two sheared off, one on each side of the plate. This allowed the whole baseplate to shift and basically destroyed the front bumper cover and headlights. The bolts had been installed with loctite red, but the design was such that you couldn't get a wrench onto the nuts to torque everything down. The nuts were called "whiz-nuts" which have a wire welded to them so you can inset them into the frame and put the bolts in from the outside. Even using an impact wrench, they never got tight enough. After we discovered the problem, we "fished" new bolts in from inside the frame, with slit lock washers and installed new nuts on the outside with the impact wrench. Unfortuantely, those worked loose twice more on the way home. I got to be an expert on removal and re-installation of the bumper cover.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 02:35:31 AM »
It should not be swaying.  Have the front end aligned.  Tell them you tow it and to put the maximum amount of caster.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
It's weight may not be evenly enough distributed;  sounds like it is relatively light up front, and with no passengers.
Tire wear could be adverse as another result too.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
We are towing a 2013 RAM MegaCab 2500HD diesel using a Blue OX baseplate and a Roadmaster Blackhawk 10K towbar and it tracks dead steady. Rear view camera shows no sway at all. With your loaded bed it could be the equivalent of not enough hitch weight on a tag. I carry nothing in the toad, but the diesel contributes 1000 lbs over the front wheels. If your CG is too far to the rear, that could contribute to the issue. Glad to see someone else towing a full size PU!