Author Topic: New Batteries  (Read 5605 times)

Owen Johnson

New Batteries
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:47 AM »
I have a 2003 contessa and had new house batteries installed. The 2 front slides will only work now if the key is on which is just opposite of the way it is supposed to work. The shop that put them in has no clue why it changed. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: New Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
Owen,
The coach was designed to disable the slides when the ignition is in the on position. Replacing the batteries would not have changed that. It is hard wired into the slide controls so that the a relay is disabled when the ignition is on.

Gerald

Terry Melot

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
They would have to change the wires from the normally closed contacts to the normally open contacts on the relay mentioned above.  The relay has not failed in the open or closed position. If it had, it would either work all the time or not at all. It is hard to imagine how that could happen without the wires on the relay being changed. I hope you have a wiring diagram.

Owen Johnson

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
I don't have a wiring diagram. When trying to figure out why the slides wouldn't work which was bad battries we discovered a wire off on the bi-directional isolator. we put it back on but now wonder if we mixed them up. The wire that was off was the one for coach batteries but wonder if that wire is mixed up with the wire that says ignition.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
Owen,

I wonder if the isolator was defective and that is why a lead was taken off. Someone had to go out of their way with some good reason to remove a wire off of it.  I think that is probably a separate issue but needs to be sorted out also.

Regarding the slide, either the relay is wired wrong, or the relay is not working at all and the slide circuit beyond the relay is getting an alternate source of 12V with the ignition on. I do not think the battery change had a whole lot to do with this, but it could be that if you had really bad batteries with a voltage level that was dragged well down, you may now have relays and circuits that are operating with the higher voltage that would not activate before.  If that is the case, the outcome is still to finding the relay that feeds the slide circuit power and see what is happening with the ignition turned on and off. I expect that the relay is being activated by the ignition switch as it should and that the NO NC contacts sending power to the slide is wired wrong.....I know that makes little sense given that this use to work properly but the symptoms indicate that the relay is active coming from the ignition switch, just the wrong logic is being used. In my computer life you are getting a 1 when you should be getting a zero....

Later Ed

Owen Johnson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
Thanks Ed for the info. I found a wiring diagram for bi-directional relay so will be able to check that it is wired correctly. my elctrical skill level is not very high but will try to find relay for the slide and try testing. I think that wire being off that bi directional relay may have caused my battery problem by not keeping my batteries charged last winter when stored in the cold weather because they were swollen in size and maybe had frozen.  Thanks again
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:23:58 PM by 14 »

Owen Johnson

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
I made sure the wiring for the bi-directional isolator relay was wired correctly, then located the relay for the slides and changed it and now everything seems to be working the way it is supposed to. Thanks for the help

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:36:16 AM »
Owen,

Good for you, your electrical skills are better than you thought....

Later Ed

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
Owen,

Keep your eye on the bi directional relay (BIRD).  I had a problem with my 2005 Monterey in that the genset would stop running when the engine was running.  Short story is the BIRD does not want to see two charging sources and will shut down the genset.  The wire being off might have been someone's fix for this.  Take a look at the BIRD and make sure there is a wire on the genset lug.  If not you may end up with the same problem I had.  It is an easy fix (at least on my coach it was an easy fix.

Dennis

Owen Johnson

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:02 AM »
Dennis
There is a wire on genset lug. I will keep an eye on this. Thanks for the info.
Owen