Author Topic: Heat Tapes  (Read 3850 times)

Owen Johnson

Heat Tapes
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
On my 2003 contessa in the bin that contains the house waterpump up above I have 2 heat tapes with a special outlet and switch that says heat tape with light that comes on when you flip the switgh on. I never have seen anything in the owners manual and don't have any of the users manuals.  I know that it must have come from the factory that way just by the way it is set up. I would appreciate any help on how they are supposed to be used. Thanks

neil omalley

Re: Heat Tapes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Owen: on my '05 Thunder ,I have a heat tape which is right close to a plug installed for the tape to be plugged in.  The tape is used when the temps drop in to the freezing area.  Mine just plugs in and when the temps are back above freezing, I just have to unplug the tape.  It's just designed to keep the temps in the water bays above freezing - this in addition to the heat coming fro the aqua hot system.

Owen Johnson

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
Neil
Thanks for the response. I have 2 of them so I am trying to figure out where they go. I am assuming 1 goes to the fresh water not sure about the other one. I  was also wondering if they are on a thermostat? Thanks

neil omalley

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
Hi Owen: My fresh water holding tank does not have a heat tape.  because the tank is next to the Aqua hot, I'm assuming the residual heat from the system is enough to keep the water from freezing.  The heat tape is used to keep the waste tanks from freezing.  They are not (as far as I know) thermostatically controlled.  I believe they are always on and are not HOT but WARM and the heat produced is enough to keep the lines warm enough to not freeze. So basically, it is not like an electric blanket.  Why you would have 2 tapes, I have no idea - unless one is wrapped around your black tank and one is around your grey.

Owen Johnson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
I had a chance to check this out a little more and figured out 1 of the heat tapes goes to the water lines for thr kitchen sink but can't tell where the other one goes. I would assume that it goes to the bathroom water supply somehow. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks