Author Topic: Hurricane Issue  (Read 10792 times)

Randy Perry

Re: Hurricane Issue
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 03:33:26 AM »
So here's the latest update on my Hurricane! As I've posted in another thread, I finally got the coach back with an almost repaired drivers mirror on Friday. Spent better part of this weekend making other repairs and upgrades. Plans were to take back to the RV repair shop this Thursday to have them "fix" the Hurricane! I decided to fire it up yesterday and low and behold, it worked? WTH! So this evening, I gave it another run and she's still working fine?? Don't know what's changed, but I have a trip to Vegas planned in a week where it should be in the low 40's to give it another "field test" I'll keep y'all posted!

Randy Perry

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:31 PM »
Well, I forgot to update on my Vegas trip so here it is.......In the evening, as the temps started to drop, I fired up the Hurricane and it worked, and worked fine all night! But it was rather early that morning laying in bed, I was feeling a slight chill. I could hear the the fan running but not the burner. Got up to notice the red light on at the switch! Dang! Without thinking, I turned it off then back on and bingo, she fired up and ran until things warnmed up and I turned it off. The next night, the exact thing happened again. This time however, I wanted to see what the fault code was outside on the unit but unfortunitly, I didn't share my plan with the wife as she flipped it off and on before I got a chance to see the code! So, any Hurricane experts out there have any ideas as to what I'm dealing with now???

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:23 AM »
Randy, mine did exactly the same thing this past cold snap.  I simply purged the pump and it worked great no issues.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
Randy,
The highest probability for the cause of your problem is air in the system. The system will set a "run flame out" fault if you get air in the line that causes a failure. Unfortunately, there are several things that will cause the same fault. If bleeding the fuel system corrects the problem for a while and it returns, the easiest correction for the concern is to install a return fuel line with a small orifice in it. The return line will continually let any air bubbles return to the fuel tank instead of going into the burner and causing flame failure.

The Hurricane heater is a fairly simple, and dependable system. The biggest problem with a Hurricane is that there are very few technicians who really understand the system, and take the time to properly diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.

Gerald            

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Mine has been doing the same thing. With a few exceptions. I am in Q now so I do not need it at this time but I will return home to Oregon and take it to Rixen or Kevin Lambert. Mine has the same flame out light and it turns green when you flip the switch on the panel inside then it flickers and turns green again then the red light comes on and a high pitched tone. Last week I tried it when in Carson city on the way down it started smoking inside the hurricane box and I found out it was not smoke but exhause coming up thru the floor. I figured it was plugged so yesterday I dropped the header pipe and tried to start it again several times and it would not light. I turned the valve on top with a hose connected and it dumped fuel out in front of the hurricane box but I heard no air bubbles. It still would not light after I cleaned up the fuel spill. Was that the valve I was supposed to turn to get rid of air bubbles?