Author Topic: Hurricane Issue  (Read 10793 times)

Randy Perry

Hurricane Issue
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
My wife and were in Vegas recently and it got a little chilly one evening so I fired up the Hurricane. It fired up, then shut down then fired back up then shut down and second time with the alarm going off. I didn’t have the time to deal with it there, so when I got home, I got on the Hurricane website to find an authorized repair facility. Found one 20 minutes from the house! Dropped it off with an estimate of $150. Next call came with a $300 price tag to go through the unit and clean everything! Then they called to say that there’s still an issue and that the entire exhaust system needs replacing due to the it being clogged up! When they told me the new exhaust would be $900 I said “Is that a stainless steel dual exhaust system?” No, it’s just a 1” pipe to the muffler with a 2” pipe to the driver’s side right in front of the rear wheel. I wasn’t happy with a $1200 repair but paid the man and went home thinking all was good! Once home, I thought it best to make sure it works (yea, shoulda done at the shop) Well, it did the same exact thing it did when I had an extra $1200 in my pocket. Took it back Saturday and get a call from them yesterday and guess what, needs another part! A $200 sensor!! Waiting for a call now as the part had to be Next Day Aired and arrived an hour ago! Anybody have a similar Hurricane issue and what was the fix?

Joel Weiss

Re: Hurricane Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:34 AM »
I have a Hurricane with virtually the same diagnosis, including the claim that the exhaust is undersized (even though the old one worked well for ~10 years).  Please tell me what sensor they think is now needed.  I'd much rather replace the sensor then the exhaust.

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »
Well, the quote of around $200 was actually $240 for the Photodiode that was "Bad" + $50 to overnite it + $60 in labor then throw another $20 for tax! When I got there, he said it's been running for the past hour! I drove home, parked and then turned it on. It's doing the same thing???  Leaving town tomorrow with an extra blanket and deal with them when I get back!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:39:30 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:06 AM »
Randy, so sorry of your being what sounds like "ripped off".  I have a 98 Patriot Ticonderoga with virtually the same hurricane system.

One of the first things you need to look at when that system won't run or shuts down is the LED lights on the control box housing the circuit board which is usually located in the same compartment as the burner.

From there, that points you toward paths that are generally not too difficult to troubleshoot providing you have a manual or video of the repairs for the unit.

I have had mine for 13 years and had several component failures and issues but always have managed to get it  going.  Jim Rixen in the Portland, OR area is very helpful as are the support people at ITR in Vancouver.  Call them and they can lead you through the fix and you can do it yourself if you are slightly mechanically inclined.

You may want to carry some spare parts as well as you get this understood and fixed.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
I had the same problem and a tech walked me through some diagnostics.  It turned out that the ground wire inside the boiler assy was intermittent.  The fix was to run a new ground from an external screw up to the brain box.  Speaking of the exhaust, I recall Jim Rixon mention that some Beavers were built with and improperly sized exhaust from the unit to the rectangular pipe.  Check with him but I believe the fix was changing that elbow.

How many hours on your unit???

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »
My LED code is saying (and has been saying $1600 ago) "Run Flame Out" and I have 1332 hours on it! Tech is on his way to my house! Let's see what he comes up with.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
Please post the solution, assuming you find it.  Everything you are experiencing, including the need to clean up a clogged system is totally consistent with how mine started behaving two months ago.  Fortunately, we have a Rixen Comfort Hot system so we aren't dependent on the Hurricane but I'd like to fix it if I can.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »
Randy, "run flame out" can have many causes; but for me it has been the fuel nozzle assembly 80% of the time. These days I carry a spare (ready to install) since that that usually solves my problem. When you take your nozzle assembly apart to clean, hold the brass fuel outlet end up to a strong light and look for a very tiny round hole. If if doesn't look good, then I soak mine in acetone at least 10 minutes and blow it out with an air gun.  In fact, last winter I had this problem returning home. I had cleaned the nozzle only 124 hrs prior!  There was some kind of tiny metallic sliver wedged in the nozzle that I could not get out. I took a fine sewing needle and gently nudged it from the inside of the nozzle and then combined with high pressure air blowing back into the brass end piece I  finally got it out.  Has worked perfectly since.  It never ceases to amaze me what all can happen when traveling.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Randy Perry

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:15:38 AM »
So I'm here (near Niland, CA.), turn the Hurricane on........ and the  thing seems to be working???

Why is it working now????
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:40:17 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Randy Perry

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Furthe update, it didn't work for long!

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Randy, have you bled the air out of the fuel line?

Randy Perry

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Randy, have you bled the air out of the fuel line?

Yes, more than once!

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
Randy,

If you have a spare nozzle change it out or clean it.
I had similar issues with mine.  I also replaced the exhaust making it shorter and exhaust on the passenger side.

Good luck sir, after getting it working I love it compared to the issues with the aqua hot.

Richard Crane

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
Randy,
My wife and I spent a fortune for several shops on the job training. Go directly to ITR, the manufacturer, in Vancouver, Washington. Ask for Kevin Lambert. He diagnosed our problem which was a tired compressor and regulator in 15 minutes and had it fixed in 1 1/2 hours. It still works too! I would not trust anyone else. They don't seem to know how to diagnose these.
Our exhaust was also plugged up. We got rid of the long pipe for a short one that exhausts on the passenger side. Their prices were also very reasonable.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »
Hello Everyone
As you know I am not a Hurricane Tech,
I do know the there is a chance of getting ripped off by these (Authorized service centers)
I had a customer that was charged $1600.00 for a coolant change, $100.00 per gallon of coolant, List price for coolant is $30.00. Too many times repair shops throw parts while trying to make repairs. (Inability to trouble shoot)
(Authorized service centers) usually have one person who went to school, If that schooled  person leaves the company, that company is still  an authorized location. even though the Tech is no longer there.
It is a real problem all over, How do we prevent  this??
ASK???