Author Topic: 6 way seats not moving  (Read 6587 times)

Gary Wolfer

6 way seats not moving
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:05:16 AM »
On my 1998 Patriot the drivers and passengers both 6 way seats quit moving in any direction. I did turn the passenger seat all the way around facing the back. I first looked for a GFCI that may have tripped and found one in the back open passenger side cabinet near the inverter had tripped. I reset it and proceeded to adjust the seats and every time I touch the 6 way seat selectors they immediately kick the GFCI again. Anyone have this problem before? Would it be under the coach since it is effecting both seats? I am not good with a multimeter.

Doug Neal

Re: 6 way seats not moving
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
The seats are 12volt and the GFI is 110 volt. Two different systems. I don't see how it would be possible for a 12 volt system to trip a GFI which is 110. You have 2 separate problems.

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Gary

On my 97 the power for the seats comes from the 12 v panel in the left front bay.

The wire harness for the seats can be on the short side.  Rotating the seat can pull the connectors or in my case some splices apart.  

Fred Nikirk

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »
Ours. Comes unplugged in a loom under the seat when rotated to far.
Fred. Nikirk

Doug Neal

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
I also had the unplugging problem until I did a little re routing.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:08:39 AM »
I don't know that the common swiveling-and-unplugging situation is Gary's problem;  both seats are affected.

Doug is right, Gary - why your 12 volt seat operations would affect an alternating current fault interrupter is perplexing.  I'd be more inclined to suspect a seat power relay, fuse or breaker, or related component/connection in the 12v electrical bay (Steve mentions) that involves master power to both seats.  GFCI's are famous for susceptibility to random current micro-spikes, and Ed Buker enlightened us about some being more so than others - you may need to replace the outlet with a better quality one.

A GFCI fix alone, however, may not be the one needed for your seats.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
As Doug mentioned above, a GFCI has nothing to do with the 12V power seat operation. Either Gary is confusing a 12V circuit breaker with a GFCI, or he has two different problems. If it is a 12V breaker and reseating the breaker allows the seats to move momentarily, and then the breaker trips but it only trips when the seat moves, the problem is at the seat.

Gerald

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
Might also look for a bared wire going to ground around where the wires work when the seat is turned. That would effect both seats. Are you resetting a gfci or a circuit breaker?
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:58 AM »
I am resetting a gfci in the middle basement next to the extra tv cable plug on the rear wall of the basement. I looked closely under both seats with a flashlight today I wiggled some wires the drivers seat worked for a few minutes I saw no loose plug ins in the wiring but the two wires come thru a small hole in the floor near the back of each seat. The passenger seat is so far foreward it makes a tight fit getting in and out of the front door.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:39 AM »
Yeah you are right if the seats are 12v it would have nothing to do with that gfci but it was wierd that the seat controls would do nothing so I reset that gfci then went back to the pass seat and it moved for a second then quit again and it did it over and over again every time I reset the gfci. lol I totally understand 12v and 110 circuits are not tied together. I will take the seat off the pedistal so I can see all the workings better. Thanks for all your help. I am trying to fix too many problems at the same time. My water bay is leaking at the water intake and 3 or 4 of the 3 way water valves have cracked and leaking caps under the chrome handles. I finally found 8 out of 10 new 3 way valves at the Bend Beaver parts and service center. But have not had time and am backed up against a chain link fence on the drivers side while I am selling household items in my stick built home I am closing on in two weeks I havnt had time to do many things but am accumulating parts.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »
Gary,
The seat is probably powered through an automatic resetting circuit breaker that is located in the LF electrical bay. It automatically resets as soon as it cools down after it has been tripped. So the seat will power up if it is left alone unless there is a short between the breaker and the switch.

Gerald