Author Topic: Ford Vehicle Towing Information  (Read 6772 times)

Bill Jourdain

Ford Vehicle Towing Information
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
I don't know if any of you are planning to purchase a 2014 Ford Vehicle for use as your dinghy, but if you are, I found the following helpful PDF file available from Ford.  Page 11 will provide you the information you need if you want to tow one of these vehicles behind your coach.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14FLRVTTgde_Sep9.pdf

Doug Allman

Re: Ford Vehicle Towing Information
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
From what I understand Ford started this in 2012. We have towed our 2012 4 wheels down without a problem. It takes about 60 seconds to get the truck ready to tow, after you memorize the procedure. We use the air force brake system that is also excellent.

I do have a question - does anyone know if Lincoln, Navigator, can do the same?

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »
I have been towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX  AWD for over 2 years with 4 wheels down without problems.  Just put transmission in neutral and leave ignition in accessory.

Larry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
The Ford Edge is the "budget" model of what the Shirks have.  We've towed ours since we bought it in 2008.  We use the Blu-Ox towbar system and the Roadmaster Brakemaster air cylinder auxiliary brake.  There have been no issues and no abnormal tire wear.   The car now has about 60,000 on the odometer and about another 35,000 towed.  

Roland DuBree

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »
I am owing a Ford 2013 Focus 4 dr sedan with curb weight of 2906 # - just under 3000# limit for most states.  Ford has a simple procedure for getting the automatic transmission into neutral position and a reading on dash that says "Transmission Ready" so you can tow at 70 MPH with no mileage on odometer. However they also say you should disconnect battery negative terminal.  I do not disconnect.  I do not want to have to reset clock, etc.  My battery stays charged even after towing 8 hours as long as I do not make the mistake of leaving the car lights on. At end of days towing I turn key on and start car, run a few minutes and then place in Park and turn key off.  Next day same thing all over again!  Works fine for me.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »
The January Family Motorcoaching magazine has the usual Toad guide, and though they change over the years, many Ford models are towable with varying procedures - even the Fusion hybrids.  I for one am glad to see the latest F-150 4X4 is towable four down now with little or no effort and no speed or distance limitations.  Explorers no longer need a neutral tow kit, and haven't for awhile, but like the Edge and other models, there are recommended precautions and speed limitations.

Hmmm.  New Explorer or F150.  Decisions decisions.  Hey, as long as it gets me to the backcountry trout and sights, and still rides as good as our current
Fords everywhere else...

Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat