Author Topic: Another Battery Replacement Question  (Read 7703 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Another Battery Replacement Question
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
My 08 PT has two 4D group 12v chassis batteries which I believe are about 3 years old.  I presently have it in a local repair shop in Nashville, Link's Automotive, for some general maintenance and replacement of the dash AC compressor.  The coach is normally plugged in but if it is not, then after a day or so, the chassis batteries do not have enough charge to start the engine without using the boost switch.  My generator starts off my house batteries.  While at the shop, they have had to put a charger on the chassis batteries several times to get it to start.  

So, it looks like I need new batteries.  The question I have is regarding replacement of the 4Ds with similar or should I replace them with four "standard" automotive size batteries.  Has anyone had any experience with either the 4D batteries or converting either from or to the more standard configuration found in coaches.  I am assuming that the coach came standard with the 4D and these are probably the second set of batteries.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Edward Buker

Re: Another Battery Replacement Question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
4Ds are industrial batteries with heavier grid plates and can be bought in deep cycle versions which is what you want. They weigh 100lbs which is a good guide in looking at lead plate area. This is a NAPA version. The automotive batteries will not have the capacity or hold up in deep cycle use.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Universal-Group-4D-NAPA-Batteries/_/R-NBE8274_0213555641

Later Ed

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I don't think I'm looking for a deep cycle battery in this case as these are my start batteries, not my house batteries.  Does it make a difference?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
Norm,
The battery configuration that you use has several variables, mostly depending upon the way that the coach is used and your personal preference. First thing to consider is, do you ever let the cranking batteries excessively discharge. If the answer to this is no, you do not want deep cycle batteries.

The next issue is price. If you can get a good quality 4D battery for about the same price as a group 31 battery, then why not use the 4D? However if they are substantially higher in price than a group 31 battery, I would op for a pair of group 31 batteries. I would not recommend using four regular automotive batteries. The group 31 batteries are designed to start large diesel engines, they give excellent service in that application, and that is the cranking battery that is used in 90% of Beaver coaches.

Gerald        

Mike Merchant

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
Norm,
I don't know if your 08 PT has a "stepout" switch by the front door like our 09 Contessa, but if it does and that switch is left "on" ( the little lite is on ),it will drain the chassis batteries overnight. Been there ,done that. Local folks spent two days running down possible electrical problem, call to Ken at BCS, first thing he asked me was my step switch "on", it was - problem solved.
                                                                                                           Mike

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
Norm,
Wondering what kind of service Link Automotive provides, and location. We're in Pleasant View, TN. We have a 1997 Marquis and have used two, different RV service providers near Opry Mills, but I would like to know of others. Good luck with your battery care/replacement. I've learned a lot from the owners here on this forum.
Gary

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
I was leaning towards deep cycle or at least a version that handled deep cycling and starting given it would appear that these get deeply discharged and have failed to start the coach. If you do not think you will deep discharge them in the future then you could go for a starting 4D or as Gerald mentions a group 31. It is really a question of discharge, if you will reach 50 % charge state or less then consider some battery version that will tolerate that abuse. If you are typically always plugged in and the charger is running then you will not need more than a starting battery.

Later Ed

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 05:54:54 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  I have decided to go with standard 4D batteries, not deep cycle.  I am purchasing the batteries through Link Automotive and they will install them for $40.00, including cleaning the corrosion from the trays.  The battery brand is Interstate and the price was competitive.  

Gary, to answer your question regarding my experience with Link Automotive, I have had them work on two of my coaches, one service each.  They have been very thorough and professional.  I believe their shop rate is $95 an hour which is generally less than most I have found.  I am very happy with the service so far.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
Norm,
Did you solve your generator issue or did they address that at Link's? Just curious as to the outcome.
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »
Norm,

I have an 05 Monterey.  It came from the factory with Interstates and I replaced them in 2010 with Interstates.  I have been quite happy.  I don't know about your coach, but I have a 1 - 1.5 amp drain on my chassis batteries all the time.  Even with the battery disconnect switch off.  It does not take long for this amperage to drain the batteries.

Dennis

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 01:33:36 AM »
For anyone planning to replace chassis batteries with Group 31's, I just discovered that Sam's Club has a very good price on Energizer Group 31's with 950 CCA.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:38:01 AM »
Regarding my issues with my generator not continuing to run, this was the reason I took the coach into Link.  I have attempted to run the generator on a number of occasions prior to taking it into Link but each time it would shut down after the first 4 minutes or so when starting cold and then after it would subsequently shut down after about 30 seconds.  I thought it was a heating problem.  Unfortunately, but not surprising, Link was unable to duplicate the problem.  In fact, they indicated that it seemed to run fine.  Once I get the coach back, I will try to run the generator again to see how it runs for me.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
Norm, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but I found on our coach if the inverter is set to auto start the Gen at a certain battery level and then set to shutoff the gen set at a certain charge level the gen set will shutdown if your batteries have achieved the gen shutoff set point even if you manually start the generator. In order to keep my generator running I had to turn off the auto generator shutdown function on my inverter to keep my gen set active. I was ready to take it to a mechanic also until I figured out this was the issue. I'm not sure if you use this function on your inverter but if you do it could very well be what keeps shutting down your generator.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »
Larry, thanks for the suggestion.  I will check out the inverter settings.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »
Norm,

I don't have all the information regarding your coach, but my genset would not run if the engine was running. Worked great when coach engine was stopped. If this is your issue there is an easy fix.

Dennis