Author Topic: Redirect exhaust pipes  (Read 7634 times)

Adam Hicklin

Redirect exhaust pipes
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
Currently the Aqua-Hot and generator exhaust pipes run straight out the back of the coach.  The problem with this is that the pipes dip below the rear axle on their route.  This creates a clearance problem getting in to my driveway. They also protrude through the rear mud flap which has never been too appealing to me.  I was thinking about re-routing the two pipes out the driver's side before the rear wheels.  There are no windows in that area, so I'm not concerned with carbon monoxide.  It would only entail one 90 degree bend in each pipe.  Can anyone see any problems with this re-rout?  Perhaps something I'm not considering?

Edward Buker

Re: Redirect exhaust pipes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
Adam,

That is a common route for many Beaver coaches including my 2002 Marquis. Just try and not add restriction with too sharp a bend reducing the pipe diameter or the coupling point of the old to the new piping.

I noticed that the rectangular pipe from my aqua hot is rusting pretty heavily. Has anyone replaced the stock unit? What was used or fabricated to replace that?

Later Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Ed, I don't know about your Aqua Hot but there was an installation manual for my Hydro Hot and it gave the recomendations with do's and don'ts for the exhaust system. I remember years ago a fellow with the same problem and it was replaced with 2in. round and he had no problems.
Marty

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »
Based on the Hydro Hot manual, Beaver made the exhaust on mine too long, with too many bends and the diameter is too small.   Even with all of that, they got it to come out under the bedroom window just fine!  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Ed,

I have a hurricane but removed the long exhaust it had and replaced it with galvanized exhaust.  I went to a local muffler shop with th demensions I required.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
Bill, In the instruction manual it say's to use 1.75in. pipe at a maximum of twelve feet and 2 90 degree bends. Anything longer to contact them. Thats why they went to 2in. pipe. Mine should be the same as yours (40ft. long) and I only have 1 90 and 1 45 degree bends. I spoke to them and got that information when I was adding the Gen-Turi.
Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the insight, this will be a good post for a future search item when the time comes to replace the exhaust. I guess the rectangular exhaust was created to gain the maximum clearance while maintaining spacing to the bottom of the coach for heat purposes. It would seem like a round pipe would be a lot less trouble in fabrication and less expensive for sure.

Later Ed

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
The 2 " pipe is really much preferred over the rectangular, (1) there will a lot less moisture (2) much easier for the bends.
Mine only has one 90deg and one 45deg exits front of left rear tire, very little exhaust restriction  

Randy Perry

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 02:22:50 AM »
We'll, as soon as I get my mirror repaired from last weeks tow issue, it's going back to the shop where I've spent $1600 to fix my Hurricane that's still not working! $900 of the $1600 was to replace the old exhaust with 2" pipe which they ran from the unit (behind the right front wheel) to in front go the left rear wheel! The unit runs fine with no exhaust hooked up, but when they hook up the new exhaust (one 90 & one 45 degree bend) and it shuts down! We even removed the muffler with a straight section and no change!

George H. Wall

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
Orman, I have added a 4 foot extension to my exhaust, which is removable, to extend thru the wall of my enclosed garage where I keep the motorhome, so I can run the HydroHot fumes to the outside. I assume this is acceptable, without causing problems for the unit?  THANKS for all your knowledge and help on this fouum!!   Henry

Orman Claxton

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Orman, I have added a 4 foot extension to my exhaust, which is removable, to extend thru the wall of my enclosed garage where I keep the motorhome, so I can run the HydroHot fumes to the outside. I assume this is acceptable, without causing problems for the unit

George
I can't see a problem with your set up, actually a good idea