Author Topic: TV Install Complete  (Read 11635 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
TV Install Complete
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:37:46 AM »
Finally finished the change-over from the 20" flat screens that had been installed in the original CRT TV boxes. Task was not for the faint of heart if you don't like to see cabinets torn up. We put a 39" in the front and a 32" in the bedroom. The front was a lot of work as I built a cherry box that swings to the ceiling when in travel mode. In the bedroom we opted for a standard ceiling mount in front of the window (which we never use). Neither TV interferes with walking around in the coach. The masking tape is holding the last piece of trim being glued.Pictures show progression of install.
We got rid of a lot of electronics and wiring; VCR/DVD, digital antenna converter, source selection boxes for both sets, etc. Added a Blue ray and Roku. Still have bit of wiring to complete (IR transmitters, etc).  Thanks to Richard Crane and Dave Cunningham for their tips.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

Re: TV Install Complete
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »
Nice job Steve. Very unique install. You have been busy indeed.....

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »
Steve,
That is a beautiful installation. My compliments.

Gerald

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »
Incredible work Steve, looks fantastic

Carol Moffett

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
Absolutely beautiful and so creative!  Do ours next?  lol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Steve,

Is the bedroom TV just suspended from the ceiling panel or is there a vesa or custom mount to the side going back to the old TV cabinet also? I was not sure what the overhead ceiling panel actually was made of an how thick and strong it is. If you could share what you know of the construction you ran into we could see how robust this option this is as a single overhead mount for a large TV. I was able to shoehorn a 26 inch in the old cabinet but bigger is always better and you have accomplished that.

I really like the swing down cabinet design up front. I did a lot of altering of overhead cabinets in our 89 Contessa and know your pain when it comes to altering the original cabinet design. Every piece of wood and trim is a custom fit...well done by another brave soul that has gone where no person has gone before.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
All,
Thanks for the kudos! Much fun but took longer than I thought. Ed's right about the cabinet design but the biggest issue was figuring out how it was originally put together. It wasn't meant to ever be taken apart.
The bedroom tv mount is attached directly to the ceiling with 6 screws. The ceiling panel appears to be thick styro-foam laminated between 2 pieces of paneling. However, there is a solid wood frame of 3/4" material surrounding the smoke detector that is anchored to the ceiling panel so made sure I used that as a mount point. If I have problems later, I can always run a mount from the wall but the current arrangement seems pretty stout so I don't expect any problems.
The Marquis ceiling panels also offer some interesting challenges. The new bedroom cabinet door wouldn't open as a horizontal swing out as it hit the dropped panel that holds the indirect lights. So, I had to make it a vertical swing and add 2 spring assists to hold it open. Fun..
Again thanks..Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »

great job Steve very clean
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Excellent work, Steve. Beautiful!

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
Steve:

Looks great.  You had some challenge to get the front cabinets looking like they were designed for that TV location.  Congrats on accomplishing it!  
In the bedroom you got the extra cupboard space and still have a good looking TV location. Another good job!

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
Steve, what a terrific job. I wish I had your patience to do what you did.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

William Brosam

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
Nicely done i just installed a 40" tv above my driver seat last night!