Author Topic: Fresh holding tank leak  (Read 4862 times)

Carl Marchant

Fresh holding tank leak
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
What is best fix for a dripping leak on fresh water holding tank. Someone tried to fix with some type of caulk and was not a great fix just a mess. Thanks for your advise.

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Fresh holding tank leak
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
Carl, I believe they actually sell rank repair kits at Camping World.

Carl Marchant

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
Yes and thanks Tom but reviews were not too great. If the previous owner had done things right he could have used the CW fix. I was hoping to avoid the nightmare of removing old caulk from previous owner. I should have done a better inspection this I missed.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
We all miss stuff, too many systems and not enough time to,check everything.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
Carl,
A fresh water tank leak is rare. It is usually the fitting or line from the tank that is leaking. However if the tank itself is leaking, the best repair method is to plastic weld a patch over the hole. This is also the best way to repair the fitting that is welded to the tank if it cracks, you weld on a patch and tap threads into the thick patch and install a pipe thread fitting into the threaded patch.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Carl, reckon you and Jeremy could try this tool kit out on your cracked tanks and report back:
http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supply-Company-5600HT-Mini-Weld/dp/B000GKDMHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387788107&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+welder

There's a couple air-inclusive ones available from Harbor Freight and others for less, but may not be such inclusive as kits.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
Carl I had a leak in a previous coach  fresh water tank it was a crack the dropped down below the fresh water inlet. I was told to try( plumbers goop) Most hardware stores have it. I bought it I think at home depot. The tank was even full and seeping water out the crack. I dryed it with a towel and smeared some on the crack with my finger and it has never leaked since. Just a quick emergency fix that worked. Maybe it will work for you as well. I never go anywhere without my tube of Plumbers Goop again.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »
I have heard that Eternabond Tape works good for sealing a leaky tank but I have never tried it for that. It does work great on the roof vents.