Author Topic: Auto Fill Valve Won't Shut Off  (Read 5599 times)

steve zannella

Auto Fill Valve Won't Shut Off
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
My auto fill valve won't shut off. I cycled it a few time and it continues to fill the fresh water tank until it over flows. I can shut off the water supply and run on my pump. Any ideas on how to disable Auto fill and still use connected water water supply.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Auto Fill Valve Won't Shut Off
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
I'm not sure about the term "Auto Fill";  perhaps Marquis' have a device I'm not familiar with.  On our Monterey you simply turn the Tank Fill valve, upper right on the water manifold, horizontal to fill the tank and vertical to go back to city water.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
Joel

I think I solved the problem. I found the water pressure regulator adjustment had somehow  became loose and water pressure was around 15 psi. After I adjusted pressure to 50 psi the auto fill solenoid closed and stopped filling the tank.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »
I just went and looked at what I think is the auto-fill valve.  Assuming I found the correct device, mine is an ASCO Red Hat, a brass valve with a green plastic box on top that has a couple wires attached.  The brass valve has an IN and OUT side.  My two suggestions: 1> replace the valve, or 2> put a manual gate valve on either side of the auto-fill valve.  My plumbing setup has room on the IN side for a manual gate valve, not so much room on the OUT side.  I assume it's a two-way valve - IN and OUT.  You might make sure power is getting from the switch to the valve first.

http://www.ascovalve.com/Applications/Products/SolenoidValves.aspx

"ASCO RedHat Solenoid Valves  -  The solenoid is an electromagnetic part of a valve, comprised of a coil, coretube, core and enclosure. The ASCO RedHat brand offers the worlds largest selection of 2-way, 3-way and  4-way solenoid valves, designed to handle the most demanding fluid control applications."
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
Good suggestion David

We have the same setup, although my problem seems solved with the increased water pressure adjustment but its still a good idea to add a gate valve just in case the solenoid acts up again

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:03:22 AM »
On the ASCO Solenoid valve the inlet water actually closes the valve. With the low inlet water pressure it may not have had enough pressure to completely seal the valve allowing water to pass through. The solenoid plunger when energized opens the equalization hole in the center of the seal allowing the spring to lift the seat. We had these valves in a lot of nitrogen gas systems and they are rock solid.