Author Topic: MCD Windshield Screen  (Read 4556 times)

Edward Buker

MCD Windshield Screen
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
I have been working with MCD Innovations to have a powered sun screen made for the front of our 2002 Marquis. I have modified the A pillar on each side of the windshield to provide a 1/2 inch flat region (photo attached) for the shade to ride on.

I was wondering if anyone else has ventured into this modification and how they might have adressed the track issue. I am a little concerned that this is not an enclosed track and I have been considering putting a U channel extrusion on this flat. MCD usually likes to modify the A pillar cover and make a "track" between the modified cover and the recess next to the windshield gasket to form a captive groove for the shade to ride down. Due to the size of the wire bundle and our corner post configuration that is not possible on our coaches. I am working with them on this issue but I am also curious if anyone has any real life experience with an MCD installation where the windshield shade is not fully encapsulated on the ends. Not sure how much the screen might bounce or move going down the highway. The A pillars do slope so that would help some.

Tim Westman

Re: MCD Windshield Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »
We had MCD install shades in our '05 Monterey and they modified the "A" posts and the overhead cabinetry...great job by the way.   The final modification did not result in a track but a flat surface for the shade to ride up and down on.  I think that as long as there is some angle on the "A" post other than 90 degrees to the dash ot should be fine.  Without the angle the shade would rock when down partially (for shade) while underway, probably to the point of distraction.  Otherwise I'm not sure I see a problem.

Edward Buker

Re: MCD Windshield Screen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for your insight. That really helps me sort out what is a real concern and what is not. I was thinking about braking and if the shade would be flopping forward and back.

If your coach is handy, I have one other question that would be a help. How wide is the flat area on your A pillars that the shade rides on (mine is 1/2 inch) and how much overlap is there of the shade on that flat. That info would help with a little planning if you get a chance to take a couple of measurements.

later Ed