Author Topic: From 22" to 40" front Tv  (Read 9259 times)

William Brosam

From 22" to 40" front Tv
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
Before :

Installed a articulating arm with weighted spring so it will hold its position you set it in

still have to get the panel up behind the tv to block the cords from view, but its so nice to have the tv out of the drivers seat where i did have it or on the couch!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:52:43 AM by 235 »

William Brosam

Re: From 22" to 40" front Tv
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
And after The Misses cleaned up the holiday box mess

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
Looks nice.  What brand/model mount are you using "with weighted spring"?  In the stowed position does the TV extend below the bottom of the cabinet frame?  You show it in use in the corner; how far across the room will the articulated arm allow it to swing so that people on the sofa can get a good view?

William Brosam

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
2nd picture is as far right as it goes its 22" from the center of the opening.
3rd is all the way down.
last is all the way up, i moved it down jsut enough it doesn't touch the antenna arm is all.

i mounted it at the very bottom of the old tv hole so it had the most movement.

i had thought about a 38" arm but theres no need to get the tv into middle of the front you'll hit it walking up the stairs. this one is perfect just enough room as you walk in

its an Aeon 104-1100 32 to 55 inch Fully Adjustable Interactive TV Mount.

http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalog/tv-mount-swivel-tv-mount-corner-tv-wall-mount-articulating-category/smart-tv-wall-mount-bracket-AEON-40101-interactive-arm-gamers-fireplace-free-shipping

it has an adjustable spring inside from 10kg to 25kg counter weight. mine is set all the way soft and then 2 turns back its a very light samsung 40" smart led tv

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the response; I just ordered the mount!  My DW thanks you; she says the biggest problem has been the fact that the TV has been too high and not at a natural viewing angle.

William Brosam

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:25 AM »
some things to note the screw that you loosen the tension of the helper spring is under alot of pressure and is hard to turn i recomend getting a socket allen key to do it took me 10mins to get it full soft for my tv and only 2 turns back to have enough spring to hold the tv where i wanted it. 25kg pressure is way more then my 40" led samsung needed!

at 25kg it was very hard to move the arm down i thought i was gonna rip the mounts out of the wood testing the spring tension.

if you need help or questions pm me and ill send you my phone number.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
William's post started me thinking about doing the same thing, but the mount he specified was designed for very large TVs and couldn't handle the small VESA bolt pattern used by my TV.  But I was determined not to give up and eventually found a mount that I liked even more than his.  It is a little more expensive but take a look at how it handles a 39" TV:

The first picture is the TV in the "watching" position.  Notice that the top edge of the TV is significantly below the upper cabinets and the TV is nearly at the mid-line of the coach.

The second shot shows the TV in the stowed (travel) position.  Notice that the bottom of the TV is level with the bottom of the old TV cabinet.  I removed the ugly fabric "surround" that went around the face of the cabinet which was designed for the old tube-type TV.

The last picture shows the mount from the rear so you can see this elegant (and very substantial) piece.  Notice how the outer arm is positioned down; it has an adjustable counterbalance spring that can handle TVs up to 25 lbs which covers almost everything less than 60" being sold today.  
The arm has a full 20" of vertical motion possible (10" up/10" down)

Here's a link if anyone is interested in buying one: http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=17438

Both my DW and I agree that having the TV this low makes all the difference in the world with respect to comfort.  Having to look up to watch TV (even though it isn't much) puts a strain on your neck; this is a much more normal viewing position.  I do still need to fashion a panel to cover up the junk I have inside the old TV cabinet which includes the subwoofer for my sound system.