Author Topic: Halogen vs Mattress  (Read 7402 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Halogen vs Mattress
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
Only 5 days into 2014 and I think I've won the stupidity award already!
Had to do some work on the bedroom slide so stood the mattress (heavy Spring Air) up at the foot of the bed. After about an hour I went to my neighbor's place to see if he had a very small bottle jack (didn't). Came back and the smoke alarm was going off in the bedroom. I smelled something but didn't smell like smoke so opened the doors and turned on the exhaust fans. Then I looked up and saw the mattress smoking. I had wedged it against a halogen puck light. Pulled the mattress away from the ceiling and it really began to smoke. I manhandled the mattress to get the smoking side against the floor as I didn't want it to flame up against the ceiling and drug it our of the coach. As soon as I had it outside it ignited in flames. Only damage to coach was a singed ceiling panel, which I can re-upholster and a couple of burn spots in the carpet where I had to stop dragging it to get a better grip. I plan to replace teh flooring anyway so no loss here.
I'd replaced the  halogens with LEDs everywhere but the bedroom (Murphy's Law). Despite using copious amounts of water on the mattress, it reignited twice over about a 3 hour period after  being outside. BTW, smoldering mattress (latex, etc.) has a unique smell.
Stupid mistake but someone must have been watching out for me........
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

Re: Halogen vs Mattress
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:20:26 AM »
Steve, If that thing had gotten a gulp of fresh air the whole coach could have went up. Great thing about the led's no heat.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:10 AM »
Blessings on you for catching it in time. Get a new mattress in and come on down to Quartzsite and air out the inside. We can share with you our crazy stories and make you feel like it's just a bump in the road.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
Steve,

So glad that luck and providence was with you, Those halogens do get dangerously hot, just ask my fingers that have touched the glass more than once.

Later Ed

Carol Moffett

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Oh my gosh, Steve, that was very quick and awesome thinking to get the mattress turned over and snuffed on the floor!  These bedrooms are very tight spaces and I can`t imagine you having to flip and drag that heavy cumbersome mattress all the way to and out the door alone!  Kudos to you!  I would do exactly what Jim says, you deserve it!
God bless!
Carol (and Keith) Moffett
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
One Lucky Beaver and also the main reason I also changed over to LED !!
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »
A new supportive example for why I keep samples of Mac The Fire Guy's small extinguishers in various spots in the coach, including by my bedstead.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Steve you are one lucky devil !!  LED's are the only way to go.  Do not forget there is 5 inches of styrofoam 'insulation' between the inner ceiling and the fibreglass roof !!  These halogen pucks are sitting in it !!