Author Topic: Soft Floor Under Toilet - Repair  (Read 5483 times)

Richard And Babs Ames

Soft Floor Under Toilet - Repair
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
Any tips? 1997 Patriot.

Probably take up the whole floor in the toilet area?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:12:15 PM by 5 »

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
Re: Soft Floor Under Toilet - Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
Not sure if the arrangement is the same but on our 99 Marquis, the commode is on a 4" (or so) elevated platform and it was real easy to remove the tile, sub-flooring on the pedestal and then using 2X4's and a piece of good quality 3/4" plywood, build a new platform butted up against the flange for the toilet.  I then cut to fit under the toilet a piece of 1/4" siding to match the tiles.

The main issue I found was that the original pedestal had no real support around or near the flange and with the original Sealand china toilet and it's frequent leaking lower seal ruined the cheap material used.  After rebuilding the sub-floor, I replaced the Sealand with a China bowl Thetford and have never had to deal with leaking seels since.

Not a lot of effort ... taking one afternoon's work a couple years back

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »
Thank you for the input Glenn. Ours is not on a riser. But it is a Sealand.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
Richard,

Remove all bad wood and maybe another inch.  If the problem continues under the wall, try to remove as much as possible. Replace any joists and flooring with marine grade wood.  Screw and glue floor. This will make it stable for tiles.

Sorry, no easy wsy out of this one.  I have had to do this many times when I was in the rerpair business.  

Also make sure you have found and repaired leak.

Dennis

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
Thank You Dennis. The leak is arround the tiolet seal I am sure. Probably my fault by not keeping the tiolet snugged down. We shall see.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Pulled toilet and several square feet needs replaced. My Wife sees it as a redecorating opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:16:42 PM by 5 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »
Found the leak it was the flush valve and have replaced. It leaked on to the cover then under the lower tiolet cover. Was not visible to the eye unless you pull the bottom cover on the toilet base. Repair took about 8 hours plus kiltz and mold kill drying time.

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
That plastic cover does a good job of hiding small leaks. :(  Glad you got it repaired.