Author Topic: Inverter  (Read 3423 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Inverter
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »
Quite by accident I discovered a strange electric anomaly in my 2007 Contessa last week while boon docking  at Quartzsite. Here it is. All this was checked with 3 different devices. When running on shore power (plugged in to my neighbor) every electrical receptacle in the coach is working fine. On generator, same thing, perfect. When inverting every outlet shows an open ground, every single one. There are no performance issues. Everything working perfectly.

I do not know when this started. It could have been from production 7 years ago, or last week. A call to Magnum got the answer all is Ok. If there was a problem I would be having issues with all the outlets when inverting. Magnun says there is an internal ground and all sound well to them.

Any thoughts.

Ken
BAC members since 2006

Lee Welbanks

Re: Inverter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:56:19 AM »
Ken, Now that is very interesting, I've checked circuits while on shore power, but never on the generator or just in inverter. I will have to see what I get, I do know that all works just fine in all three cases. I will check this out I have a Ideal SureTest circuit tester which will give one way more information than you need.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »
Ken,

I would check the Magnum installation wiring diagram and instructions for the inverter. I would think that the ground line at the outlets travels back to the inverter, then back to the main panel, and all of this is bonded to the coach chassis/frame. If that is the way the wiring diagram/instructions shows it should be wired then an ohm meter and a length of wire could be used to check that out. I do not understand the reason for an open ground indication. That being said there is no functional reason why outlets will not work with a ground that is disconnected, it is a safety issue rather than a functional issue.

Later Ed

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 04:03:08 AM »
Ed, I can have people check that. Way past my skill level. Thanks.

Any other 07 owners check theirs. I'd be interested to know the results.

Ken
BAC members since 2006