Author Topic: Generator and Hurricane System Help  (Read 10759 times)

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
Generator and Hurricane System Help
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
I really need some expert advice about two big ongoing problems with my 2000 Beaver Contessa with fewer than 60K miles.  The first problem is the Hurricane Hydronic system and the second is he Onan 7500 diesel generator.  The Hurricane system has given me fits for several years, system runs for a short time blowing out stinky white smoke and shuts down so I seldom used it since I rarely camp in the cold .  I have had the fuel filter and fuel pump replaced, and a five year kit installed three years ago and still had the same issues.  Since I am getting ready to go full time this summer, I have put it in the shop once again and the first thing they put in was the 5 year kit, but now tell me that it is still doing the same thing.  Seems like these shops just like to throw parts instead of doing a correct diagnosis, what else could it be?  The generator is another story which I blame on a poor design.  When the ambient temperature gets above 85 degrees the generator shuts down over the road.  My generator is in the rear of the coach and the air intake is right next to the engine exhaust.  This problem started happening about 2 years ago.  Since the exhaust and muffler are now 13 yrs old would a new exhaust run any cooler?  The shop tells me they want to put a sock on the exhaust and redirect, has anyone else experienced this issue?  They have diagnosed my generator as needing a new internal inverter which they say was caused by the excessive heat, and estimate 11hrs labor to pull the generator fix.  I value the advice of this forum, please help!  Thanks!
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Generator and Hurricane System Help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
I had the same generator problem on my 2001 Contessa. Tried installing a heat shield to keep the some of the exhaust heat from getting picked up by the generator air intake. Helped a bit but not much as I still had overheat shutdowns. I was ready to move the exhaust but the shop manager at Massey's Diesel suggested we put a chrome tip on the exhaust to direct it down at about a 45 degree angle. Problem solved! No overheats even when climbing hills in hte AZ summer.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
Brian,
You know what the service issue is with your Hurricane, poor service technicians. If there is a problem with a system, a good technician will properly diagnose the issue before selling you a bunch of parts that you may or may not need. As I have said here before, the biggest problem with the Hurricane system is that most RV shops know little or nothing about the unit and they just throw parts at it and hope that it starts working before you run out of money.

If you are in the NW, you can contact ITR (the manufacturer), or Jim Rixen at Rixen's Enterprises for competent service on you unit. The Hurricane is primarily used in the marine industry, so service facilities that understand the unit are usually located around pleasure boating centers. However, giving ITR (International Thermal Research) a call will be worth your time.

Gerald        
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:51:58 PM by 14 »

John Jahr

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
Maybe we should have a place in this forum to list dealers or repair facilities that have done an excellent job of repairing our Hurricanes or  Aqua-Hot.

Mine our:

Veurinks RV Center  Grand Rapids, MI

Richards RV Service Center   Greer, SC

John

Richard Crane

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:52 AM »
Brian,
I too spent a fortune on hacks doing "on the job Hurricane training" on my money. Call Kevin Lambert at ITR, the manufacturer. He is great at diagnosing and can actually help you. They are in Vancouver, Washington. He diagnosed mine in 15 minutes and fixed in in 1 1/2 hours. Cost was less than any who practiced on me too! He is at 800-993-4402. I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Richard & Judie Crane
2000 Marquis C12

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
Brian,

I agree with Richard, these guys can get you going again.

Great folks!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »
As I had previously posted, we had Jim Rixen's Comfort Hot system installed in October and have never been happier.  It has worked extremely well for the past several months and I'm not in any hurry to fool with my Hurricane.  Over the past two years I've spent >$500 on various parts, most of them purchased from Kevin Lambert.  Each time we get the system working for a while.  

Jim Rixen says that at some point these old Hurricane's just get too expensive to maintain.  Of course, Jim would like to sell you his own system which can be used as a  complete replacement for the Hurricane burner and boiler.  It's about $3500-4000 installed.  It appears to be a well-designed system, with all the key components in an easily removable module that could be pulled out for service.  One of these days I may consider getting one, but for the moment, the Comfort Hot is keeping us plenty warm.  We don't normally boondock, but if we needed to we could always use the generator to provide the necessary electricity for it.

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies but I am stuck here on the east coast until later this year hoping it can be fixed.
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Brian,
You have my sympathy for being stuck in the NE, especially with the weather that you have been having lately. However, if you are going to repair the unit yourself, give me a call and I will walk you through the basic checks that you need to run to determine the problem.

Gerald

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
Gerald, appreciate the offer but it is in the shop and my fingers are crossed
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Well after a poor diagnosis and several hours of labor installing a five year kit and cleaning out the exhaust on my Hurricane system, my repair facility just notified me that there is a crack in the coolant tank and antifreeze is leaking into the burner producing the white smoke.  They have also instructed me that it is not repairable.  Wanted to check with this group to see if there is a remedy.  If it is not repairable, what are my options?  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Brian,

Did you call the folks at ITR?

They can be a great help!

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
Yes called ITR they don't do cooling tanks
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »
Quote from: Brian Sexton
Yes called ITR they don't do cooling tanks

What you call a coolant tank is probably the "manifold" around the burner.  I'm surprised that ITR can't sell you a new one.  But I recall that Kevin Lambert at ITR did tell me that it could be removed and repaired at a radiator repair shop.  I wouldn't be surprised if mine is cracked also, but it's not subjected to nearly as much stress with Rixen's Comfort Hot and I haven't noticed any leakage.  I'd guess that the cracks are the sort that open up when the burner is running and the piece is subjected to heating.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
Joel,

That is made of stainless steel, I assume it can be brazed, I also looked on their web site and it shows the part available.

Not sure what Brian meant by cooling tank, maybe he will take a picture for us to take look.

Brian, I replaced my heat exchanger myself, other than plumbing fittings was a breeze.

Anyway, good luck sir!