Author Topic: Installing HWH Air Leveling  (Read 4070 times)

steve zannella

Installing HWH Air Leveling
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
I'm will be traveling to Iowa to installing HWH air leveling on my 2004 Marquis and one requirement of HWH is that I do not have a ping tank on the same axle. Would anyone know if ping tanks were used on my coach?

Also any advice on the operation or installation would be appreciated.

Gerald Farris

Re: Installing HWH Air Leveling
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
Steve,
Your coach was not originally equipped with ping tanks. However, if you are not the original owner of the coach, a ping tank or tanks could have been added by a previous owner to enhance the ride characteristics, although this is not a common addition on you model coach.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
OK, someone has to ask...what is a ping tank.  I do have their golf clubs though.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
A ping tank is a tank that is added into the air line going the air bags in your coach's suspension. It is placed as close to the air bag as possible with the largest diameter air lines that are practical. The purpose of a ping tank is to increase the volume of air in the air bag system. The increased volume of air softens the ride and removes some of the harsh impact that you feel from pot holes and pavement ridges. With the increased air volume, it will slow the response of the coach when you are airing up the suspension. Also it can put a strain on the compressor in some applications, but not on a Beaver.

Ping tanks are more beneficial in my opinion on four air bag suspensions than they are on the 8 or 10 air bag suspensions that most Beavers are running. If ping tanks are used on a coach with air leveling, you have to have one for each wheel instead of just one for the front axle. That is the reason that HWH was questioning Steve about the presence of a ping tank.  

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:03 PM »
ahha... so the ping tanks act like a shock absorber in the air-pressurized system.  I think I got it!
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

William Brosam

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
ahha... so the ping tanks act like a shock absorber in the air-pressurized system.  I think I got it!

i would call is a resivoir before a  shock absorber that is what the bag is absorbing the shock