Author Topic: Trace Engineering Xantrax Inverter Not Inverting  (Read 11489 times)

Brent Hohlweg

Trace Engineering Xantrax Inverter Not Inverting
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:17 AM »
Here's a strange one...

We've been plugged in at Alafia State Park in Florida for about a week and a half to the 50amp service. I always set up Trace Engineering Xantrax inverter to CHARGE mode when plugged in. Today all of sudden (just one electric floor heater running) the coach lost all power and could no longer use CHARGE mode and batteries are no longer being charged even when I switch invertor to ON mode (but at least in ON mode I can run the house batteries like I'm boon docking which is getting me through tonight).

1. I thought maybe a breaker tripped in the coach (checked all of those and all were fine).
2. I thought maybe one of the 4 wall plugs GFI's might have tripped (nope, all fine there).
3. I check the 50amp service connection (all good there and verified 50amp had power with volt tester).
4. I then disconnected from the State Park 50amp service and fired my engine and also generator (BINGO... the invertor worked in CHARGE mode again).
5. I shut down engine and generator, and plugged back into the 50amp service... sadly the CHARGE mode would not work.
6. I then did two full factory resets of the Trace Engineering Xantrax invertor (still CHARGE mode would not work).
7. I looked at the Xantrax invertor box under the coach in the bay... I was trying to see if there was a fuse or something (but can't see one - just a reset type fuse button - I pressed it a couple times, but nothing - Also when I switch to Generator or Engine I can CHARGE fine...

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them. Open to all ideas. Huge thanks in advance!

Cheers Brent

Bill Sprague

Re: Trace Engineering Xantrax Inverter Not Inverting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
Brent,

Did you recycle the 50 amp breaker on the power pole?

Does your's have an Aladdin?  What does it say for Leg 1 and Leg 2?

Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:02:14 AM »
Brent,
If you have 120 volts into the transfer switch on both legs from shore power and nothing out, you have a bad transfer switch. That is assuming that the transfer switch is not a surge guard switch and you have an open neutral or ground from shore power. Take a meter, and with a few simple checks, You can very quickly determine what your problem is.

Gerald

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:41 AM »
Hi Bill - Yes I recycled the 50amp breaker on and off about 5 times and also checked another 50mp service pole in another site here - all is fine on that front.

I should have clarified:
AC1 is the 50amp service - and that does not CHARGE.
AC2 is the generator and engine - and that worked fine.

I do have the Aladdin and I can see the no charging happening at this point on AC1 (50 amp leg)... AC2 on the Aladdin produced a healthy charge with lots of amps.

Cheers Brent

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Hi Gerald. Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like only AC2 (the generator leg) is charging. AC1 (the 50amp leg) is not charging. So is the AC1 transfer switch usually located by the break panels inside the coach or below by the Xantrax Invertor?

It is funny you mention 'surge guard switch' as when I bought the coach it said in the marketing material: "In-line Surge Protector after transfer relay"... but I have yet to see anything that looks like a surge protector. Any ideas what it might look like or where it might be on my 2004 Marquis?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers Brent

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:16:46 AM »
Brent,
I am not sure where the transfer switch is located on a 2004 Marquis, but it should be by the power cord reel or on the roof of the basement. Maybe someone with a 2004 Marquis will chip in here and identify the location for sure.

One word of caution here, there is 240 volts in the transfer switch if you are plugged into 50 amp shore power or if the generator is running, so exercise proper caution when checking the switch. If you are not careful, it can be dangerous.

If you check the transfer switch, and you do not have power into the transfer switch on both legs, but you have power on both legs at the post, you either have a power cord reel problem or a power cord problem. Just take a meter and see where the power stops, and you have located the problem.

Gerald      

steve zannella

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »
Hi Brent

The transfer switch on my 2004 marquis is located on the basement ceiling in front of the xantrax inverter.

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
Hi guys,

I located the ATS switch in the bay by the inverter (it was hidden by the floor I beam and not visible upon first view - pics below).

That said after talking with Coach-Net I think this is the Trace Engineering Xantrax Inverter issue...

Does anyone know anyone in Florida work does great work on these kind of electrical problems? We're near Tanpa right now.

Cheers Brent

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »
Brent,
With shore power applied, are any of the Surge Guard indicators lit?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
Steve, Brent,

It looks like the surge guard is wired in after the transfer switch, between the switch and the load. That being the case and the fact that the generator works on both legs it must be the transfer switch or the incoming cord/reel. You need measurement of AC Volts in and out of the transfer switch while on shore power.

Later Ed  

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »
Brent,

Alliance RV in Wildwood, FL is just off I-75.  Call them (352) 330-3800 before you head there to make sure they can work you in to their schedule.  
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:58 AM »
Thanks Karl! I'm making an appointment tomorrow. They look like a solid company with some good experience :-)

PS: Murphy's Law Raises His Head:  So I have no shore power due to issues above. Then today my generator won't start (for third time!). My wife and I almost fell to the floor laughing and crying (lets see if the engine starts tomorrow - haha), of all the times to have both power sources cut out on us is when it finally hit 86F today down here in Florida...so no A/C :-(   The generator came up again with a code 45 error (so back to Cummins as well - their work is still under warranty - THIRD time perhaps we'll get lucky and finally get the generator properly fixed by them). Generator saga is here: http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1386742747/s-25/highlight-Cummins/#num25

Cheers Brent

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
Brent,

BTW, Alliance RV in Wildwood can also work on your generator and they have a very nice campground at the facility.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Hi guys,

So talked with Alliance today. They are pretty sure it is a faulty board on the Trace Engineering 2500 inverter. So can I ask if anyone has had an inverter board go on them? Alliance said they would not repair inverter but instead replace with a new appx $2500 - 3000 Magnum inverter. When the I had the HWH air leveling break down, I called HWH and for $50 (instead of the $2000 the dealer wanted to replace the board) they fix a circuit / reset and did the simple reinstall of the board... Could there be any such luck for a commons repair on Trace Engineering inverters?

Cheers Brent

William Brosam

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Quote from: Brent Hohlweg
Hi guys,

So talked with Alliance today. They are pretty sure it is a faulty board on the Trace Engineering 2500 inverter. So can I ask if anyone has had an inverter board go on them? Alliance said they would not repair inverter but instead replace with a new appx $2500 - 3000 Magnum inverter. When the I had the HWH air leveling break down, I called HWH and for $50 (instead of the $2000 the dealer wanted to replace the board) they fix a circuit / reset and did the simple reinstall of the board... Could there be any such luck for a commons repair on Trace Engineering inverters?

Cheers Brent

here is the best price on the magnum i have found its a 2800watt and nearly a direct bolt in for the xantrex inverters. Ill be doing this the next time im gonna be staying in the coach

http://www.imarineusa.com/magnumenergyms28122800watt12v100atruesinewaveinvertercharger-1-2.aspx
you also need one of these
http://www.imarineusa.com/magnumenergymerc50advancedremotecontrol-1.aspx

as far as working on the inverters yes it can be done but hard to say if its cost effective or not.