Author Topic: Portable Jump Starter  (Read 5927 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Portable Jump Starter
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
I have had constant problems with  batteries that go flat. I think I now have them fixed but in order to insure my sanity and marriage I am contemplating purchasing a portable jump starter. I would welcome comments on the feasibility of this move along with any recommendations. I have a 2003 Beaver Monterey.

Dennis Crawford

Dennis Crawford

Re: Portable Jump Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
Dennis,

I am not sure if you can get the amps you need in a jump starter box.  Have you been having problems with both chassis and house batteries?
If your house batteries are good, then you can just use the battery combine switch on the left console.  This will provide all the amps from thehouse batteries to get you started.

Dennis

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
If your starting batteries are very low/dead and you plan on using the switch to couple the batteries, hold it down for a few minutes to give some time to bring the starting batteries up with at least some charge level before you crank while holding the switch down. Otherwise with this switch you are putting the full engine starter load and the dead battery load through the solenoid and not getting any starting battery help here.

This is a problem that needs some solution because the starting batteries are not made to handle deep discharge and are ruined by this type service. If there is no charging solution in storage then the next best thing is to disconnect the + lead from the starting battery bank when you leave the coach and reconnect it when you return. As far as portable jump starters it may be possible with several heavy duty versions of them connected at the same time to get a portable jump starter to contribute and work but it would not be my first choice. Basically if there is power available at the coach then resolve the charging system issues and if no power is available then disconnect the battery. You could install a marine switch shut off suitable for diesel engines to make battery disconnecting easy if that was your long term solution.

Later Ed

William Brosam

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
do you have battery disconnects?

what kind of batterys are you using?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
Dennis,
Ed is defiantly right when it comes to the standard automotive jump starter box. Trying to start a diesel engine with one if your chassis batteries are dead is a waste of time an money. The average car requires about 500 CCA (cold cranking amps), and your coach requires about 2,000 CCA. You may be able to start your coach with four of them, but there are solutions to your problem that are so much better, and more cost effective.

Gerald

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Last July, when we bought our 2003 Monterey from Guaranty in Junction City Oregon, they had just replaced the inverter and the coach batteries.  When we went to pick it up, it would not start so they also replaced the two chassis batteries.  On our first trip out, we noticed that the alternator was only charging about 11 volts.  I had the alternator replaced and Guaranty covered the total cost of that.  We have had no more electrical problems since.  Our alternator is now putting out 13.6 volts to 14.1 volts according to the Aladdin.

William Brosam

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »
get some switched disconnects onto the batterys for storage i have switches that cut off the batteries from everything mounted on the wall of the battery bay. so they cant be drained in storage (courtesy of previous owner.)

but the jump boxes will not power anything in the coach of use to you.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »
The portable battery box is in my toad, in case we are in the back country somewhere in it and come back to a dead battery or low tire (many if not most of such boxes include inflators).  In fact, I was glad to have it in 2012 at a campsite when I stepped out of the coach to go into town and discovered a slightly unlatched door had caused the courtesy lights to stay on all night.  The incident also presented another lesson:  remember to plug in and fully charge the box every few months, or it may prove useless when you need it.  Fortunately I could plug it in to park power in camp (or have used the genset in dry camp), and after a couple hours it was up to snuff and cranked the toad back to life.

Though I've not had to try it, I like to think the box could be used to start the coach's genset, and from that then the engine.  Which elicits another point:  the most common cause of bad alternators is damage from owners starting a coach following a day or more of dry camping.  As pointed out in this Forum many times, the excess heat an alternator puts out trying to recover discharged batteries will destroy it, and is likely what happened to Roy's.  Rule number one of dry camping is start the genset and use its charger to recover used juice well before trying to start the engine.

That's where, in theory at least, a portable box may come in handy for the coach some day - jump starting the generator when house bats are low also, and the Start Boost switch therefore won't work.  You shouldn't try to jump a dead coach with your toad either;  one 500 amp battery won't do the job of two putting out 2000, and the attempt may do in sensitive components in the toad.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:03 PM »
William,

I have battery switches for each bank but Beaver in their wisdom bypassed the switches for the engine ECU in order to have it stay powered. I have measured the current and it is about 1.6 amps constantly being drawn from the chassis batteries. That is what kills them over several days if you do not have a charging source. One could install one of these between the +  battery terminal going to the chassis and the battery post and fully shut off the current to the ECUs. I have discussed this with Cat and the only downside is there is an extra 30 seconds of delay on the first power up while the ECU gets its memory rewritten. That would not matter to us given we are busy checking other things before we start up. This is a good choice for a switch.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2290051|2290060&id=341919

You should never kill this switch with the engine running, my guess is that practice would never come into play anyway.

Later Ed

William Brosam

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »
My previous owner installed exactly what you are talking about

Steve Jewell

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »
We use jumper boxes all the time to start large diesel engines. The last on we bought is 3000 cold cranking amps - cost almost $600.00 and weighs 50 pounds. I think I would just disconnect the battery like everyone else said.

Steve J

Dennis n Heather Crawford

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
As always, my gratitude to all who replied to my query.
You all have given me quite a lot to think about!

Thank You all,

Dennis C.