Author Topic: Fire Extinguisher Characteristics  (Read 5400 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Fire Extinguisher Characteristics
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
If you are a Coach-Net member, be sure to read the latest Newsletter recently emailed out.  There is a good article about fire extinguisher maintenance that we should all scrutinize.  For copyright considerations, and as much as I'd like to, I won't copy and paste the article here for non-Coach-Net Beavers, but I'll reference their source at least:  The RVer's Ultimate Survival Guide by Neil W. LeKander.  The book is available at  http://rvsafetyinfo.com/

If I can contact him, I may consult the publisher for permission to post the article here.

Joel

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:44:58 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
Re: Fire Extinguisher Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
Okay, I got permission from both the author of the book The RVer's Ultimate Survival Guide , Neil W. LeKander, and the online publisher, Coach-Net, of the article in their newsletter, Coach-Net Connection, to post a copy here.  Both were enthusiastic for the opportunity to spread information about fire extinguisher safety.

-Joel

Holy Smoke!
January 22, 2014

In the July issue of this newsletter, we discussed RV Fire Safety and highlighted significant points to remember regarding your fire extinguisher and how to use it. In this issue, we would like to dig a little deeper into the maintenance of your fire extinguisher as it could be the very thing that saves you and your loved ones.

It is required by law that all RVs come equipped with fire extinguishers. As our RV Fire Safety article indicated, there are several different classes of fire extinguishers. Once you have determined that you have the correct type of extinguishers, your next priority is to keep them properly maintained by checking them monthly. Fire extinguishers need to be regularly checked to ensure that:
•The extinguisher is not blocked by furniture, doorways, or anything that might limit access in an emergency.
•The pressure is at the recommended level. Some extinguishers have gauges that indicate when the pressure is too high or too low. If the gauge indicates empty or inadequate pressure, replace or recharge the extinguisher immediately.
•All parts are operable and not damaged or restricted in any way. Make sure hoses and nozzles are free of insects or debris. There should not be any signs of damage or abuse, such as dents or rust, on the extinguisher.
•The outside of the extinguisher is clean. Remove any oil or grease that might accumulate on the exterior.

The first thing to verify is the date of manufacture of your fire extinguisher because of the NFPA 10 (National Fire Protection Agency: Standard for Portable Fire Extinguishers) life limit on domestic fire extinguishers. Somewhere on the label, generally near the notation regarding extinguisher classification, there should be a box with a date code; i.e., 1995. That would be the date of manufacture. Plastic top domestic extinguishers have a six-year life limit while metal top extinguishers have a 12-year life limit. To test non-gauge extinguishers push the plunger indicator (usually green or black) in. If it does not come back, the extinguisher has inadequate pressure to expel its contents. If you need help testing your fire extinguisher, visit your local fire department.

If you use any portion of a powder extinguisher, have it refilled or replaced immediately. When an extinguisher has been partially used (even a small amount), a particle of the dry powder or dry chemical may become trapped in the valve causing the valve to leak pressure. Never put the dry powder or chemical fire extinguisher back into the bracket thinking that you "only used a little". Once the extinguisher has been discharged, it must be replaced or serviced. Should you desire to have a fire extinguisher refilled, request that they first shoot off the old charge (most refill stations have a special place where this can be done safely). If you can observe the procedure, it may let you witness how far it shoots and how long the charge lasts.

Invert and shake your dry powder or dry chemical extinguisher to loosen the powder. The vibration of your RV while you travel down the road will not keep the powder loose. In fact, it packs the powder tight - a condition that may make your extinguisher ineffective in fighting a fire. If for any reason you cannot detect movement of the powder within your extinguisher, replace it immediately or have it checked by an expert. Do not pull the pin and expel the contents to test your powder extinguisher.

For stored-pressure water/designer foam and Halon extinguishers, the maintenance process is considerably easier. They need to be inspected for physical damage and to verity that the pressure gauge has adequate pressure as evidenced by the normally green band on the gauge. Make sure you pay special attention to these details:
•If bent, damaged or improper gauge, depressurize and replace
•If pressure is low, check for leaks
•If over pressurized (overcharged), reduce to 100 psi (690 kPa) by depressing the valve lever and check for leaks.

Fire extinguishers are critical indoor components that are often overlooked. However, they must be maintained and inspected regularly as they are of little value if they are not kept in operating condition. Make sure you do your checks, know how to use them and be sure they will be ready if you need them.

Source:
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance cited with permission from The RVer's Ultimate Survival Guide by Neil W. LeKander.
To purchase this book, visit RVSafetyInfo.com
usfa.fema.gov
Amerex-Fire.com
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
[size=14][/size]Regarding the extinguishers in the motorhome I would highly recommend attending Mac, the Fire Guy's fire and safety seminars usually conducted at all FMCA conventions and at many of the Area rallies.  He also demonstrated at Quartzsite this past January.  I had attended his seminar at the Gillette convention on safety during a fire in the coach.  He especially emphasized how to escape a coach with a front entry.  There was an actual demonstration when a lady volunteer attempted to exit the coach through the emergency rear window.
How many of us have a dowel laying in the window sill back there, used to hold the window open when trying to get out.  Mac also suggested throwing the bed comforter over the window sill to get from getting cut or scrapped.  I saw a heavy man sitting a wheel chair at the seminar and politely said to him, "I guess we're both dead if it happens to us."
Safe travels,
Mandy
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:39:26 PM by 5 »
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
I would second Mandy's reference to attending Mac the Fire Guy's training. As an old Fire Chief I was more than impressed with Mac's knowledge and presentation. My wife and I have been to three of his sessions which always include hands on training and we always come away with more knowledge.
Yes, your RV is built to government safety standards. These are MINIMUM standards and have little to do with your getting out in an emergency. They have more to do with what it costs the manufacturer.
Live to enjoy your RV, take in a free fire training session with Mac.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
In the interim before attending one of Mac's seminars, order his SS20 three-pack and spread them around the coach in easy to get at, handy places.  These are in addition to a couple larger ones mounted elsewhere.  Be sure everyone traveling with you knows how to use them.

In our coach, only one small red one came with it new, mounted on the floor by the passenger seat, intended to be handy to the entry door.  I mounted a large one in a street side bay and carry another in the large cargo bay curbside.  I have one of Mac's small ones by my bed stand, one Velcro-strapped to a sidewall in the 12v electrical bay which I normally keep unlocked and accessible, and one in the driver's overhead cabinet.  A couple white Halons lirk here and there.  These are all only good for tackling a small fire that's just started;  anything of size requires immediate exiting of the vehicle before further attempts with extinguishers.  Occasionally I upend and shake extinguishers to keep settled content dispersed.

Ideally one should have automatic systems in the generator, refrigerator, and engine compartments, but money dictates I'll be lucky to put one in above my CAT.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat