Author Topic: Roof A/C in 2001 Marquis Amethyst  (Read 7180 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Roof A/C in 2001 Marquis Amethyst
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »
I have been searching the forums trying to figure out where the A/C filters are for our coach.  Our Manual days we have have basement air however our coach has three roof mounted units.  I have looked in the cabinet next to the cooktop as shown in other coaches and ours is empty.  Could they be in the wood roof panels?  If so how do we get into them.  Thanks for all your help!  Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Brent Hohlweg

Re: Roof A/C in 2001 Marquis Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:17 AM »
Hi Larry,

That is exactly where mine three filters where located. I popped off the little wood dowel caps and the screws allowed be to take off the wood grill. The filters were just simple black thin foam. We washed them in super hot water gently and laid them out in the sun to dry. Also gave them a good quick spray with rubbing alcohol from the dollar store to kill all the germs from 10yrs of no one doing it before us :-)

Hope that helps.

Cheers Brent

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
Larry,
The  basement air had a house style filter in the return air duct. Access was via a removable panel at the back of the 2nd bay on the pass side. Your roof units were probably added after market as the basement unit could prove problematic. The manual is referring to the filter for the basement unit but with 3 roof units your basement unit is probably disabled (remove it and gain another storage bay on the driver's side...). Filters for the roof units are usually the foam panel right behind the intake panel in the ceiling. Attached is a pix of the basement filter location form my 2000 Marquis. Return air intake (if like mine) was in a cabinet at the rear of the kitchen. (could convert and gain some cabinet space).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:28 AM »
Brent, ok we will try to take all the wood panels down...they sure seem like they will be very heavy.  Our panels had foam stuffed in all the corners.  Not sure why that was done but we have removed it all.  Larry will try removing them when he gets back next week.  Not sure why they would make it so you have to remove those big panels instead of simply removing the small wood grates in the panels..

Steve,
Our unit does not look like it ever had basement air installed.  The area you are talking about in the kitchen has a small metal grate below a shelf.  There is nothing behind the grate but open space and some leaves that found there way in there along with some misc junk that must have gotten pushed out if the drawer stacks.

Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:23 AM »
Laura,
If your coach is a 2001 Marquis, it originally was equipped with basement air, and it has been converted to roof air as an aftermarket modification. Therefore we can not tell you for sure if there are filters behind the wood panels or not, because we do not know who did the work. But if you have filters, they will be located in the return air intake for each A/C unit, and that is located at the A/C unit itself.

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
Laura,
Just for reference, the empty space behind the metal grate in the kitchen is (was) the basement AC return air duct that goes down to the filter I described previously. As Gerald noted, if your unit is a 2001 it originally had a basement AC. At the very rear of your front slide, you have 2 large vents coming to the outside. These were (are) the air intakes for the 2 compressor units of the basement air. See pics.
Steve
Steve

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:31 AM »
Steve,
On most aftermarket roof air conversions, the panel with the air intakes is removed and replaced with a bay door for the compartment that is created to occupy the area were the basement A/C unit was located. So if the basement air unit has been removed and replaced with roof air, the air intakes are gone.

Gerald  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:40:39 AM »
Gerald,
Good to know.
Thx, Steve
Steve

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 05:35:31 AM »
My coach has another Beaver variation of air conditioning filter.  It is located below the floor and above the basement AC unit in the Air Return vent.  It is mounted horizontally.  Naturally it is a non-standard size, which must be custom adapted from a larger filter.  It can be seen below the floor from above through the girll pictured in the above post.  It is accessed from below in the AC bay.

You never know where they put things.

Larry