Author Topic: Antifreeze  (Read 4533 times)

Dennis Crawford

Antifreeze
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »
All, I have a C9, 400 HP in my 05 Monterey.  I recently had a leak from the antifreeze overflow container.due to loose clamps.  I want to add antifreeze to bring it up to proper level.  Do I need to buy antifreeze from a Cat dealer?  Is there a special type for this engine. The color appeared to be yellow.

Dennis

Edward Buker

Re: Antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
I would try and match what is in there if possible. It may be a Ford Diesel Antifreeze. Check this site and article. The color samples should help define what you have. Buy what is the closest diesel color match and in the quantities to replenish what you need it should not be an issue. If you need to dilute a concentrate use distilled water.

http://blendtech.biz/antifreeze-information/diesel-engine-coolant.html

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Dennis I would like to point out a few things to consider, your rig is an 05 the Anti Freeze does have a life limit and if you have green fluid this will need to be maintained with additives. You could also change the fluid to the extended life (Red) this would require that you drain and flush before making the change. I just changed to the red after the quartszite rally I had the Cat Dealer do the 1.5 Hr. job total bill just over $300. but now I don't need to test and I good to go for 9-10 years.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »
I'm with Jerry here, Dennis.  It sounds like it's time for a change to ELC.  I had our '06 Monterey's coolant done in 2012 for a little over $100 as part of a larger full service, so the labor was efficiently distributed among the tech's other tasks - they effectively charged only a half hour for the coolant part, and discounted for my CAT Club membership, an entity no longer existent.  I doubt I'll be able to find that deal again, but with ELC it will be awhile before I need to worry about it.  Even at $300 your engine and you will be happier campers.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:22:06 AM »
Dennis,

If it is time to change antifreeze rather than add I would use CAT ELC as a first choice also. It has been formulated and well tested by CAT so you know all the materials and gaskets in your engine are compatible. My second choice is any other Diesel ELC with the proper CAT antifreeze approvals listed.

If you are currently in a good place with your standard coolant and waiting for a more convenient time to deal with this just be sure your SCA levels are good and that you have added the appropriate coolant to get to the proper fill level.  No emergency here just some planned maintenance schedule will do.

Later Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Ok, I need to chime in on the coolant issue.  Perhaps we are over thinking this concern about coolants.  IMHO, 3126, C7, and C9 engines can use standard duty ELCs.  The most important thing is to flush with distilled water before putting the fresh coolant back in the system.  The standard duty ELCs (Prestone and others) are compatible with other types of coolants.

Now for the C-12 and C-13 engines. You need be more careful about using either the CAT ELC or the heavy duty brands of coolants.  The most important thing for either of these engine groups is you need to change the extended life coolants at least every 6 years.....
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida