Author Topic: Coolant Surge Tank Cracks  (Read 9578 times)

Gerald Farris

Coolant Surge Tank Cracks
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
The surge tank on many Beaver coaches in the late 90's to the 2002 or 2003 age range is a Ford tank that cracks often. The Ford part number is F6HZ-8A080-B and it measures app. 3 1/2" deep, 6" wide, and 27" long. At the Indio rally there were 3 coaches with cracked tanks. My 2000 Marquis uses this tank, and I have had to replace it twice with the last one lasting only 2 years.

Since my coach had a 13 pound pressure cap on the tank, and the coach never reaches a temperature that would boil coolant in a 7 pound system, I changed my pressure cap to a 7 pound cap to reduce the likelihood of another tank failure.

Gerald

Roger Baldwin

Re: Coolant Surge Tank Cracks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
We had to replace ours as well in our 2001 Patriot.  We found one at Northwest Supply in Oregon.  I don't know if they have any left, but good to know the Ford part number, we may buy one and keep on board as a back-up as it sounds like this may happen again.
Thanks,
Roger

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
If you have a 13-15 pound pressure cap now, and replace it with a 7 pound pressure cap, I think your tank failure rate will be minimal.

Gerald

Bruce Benson

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »
I replaced my tank 18 months ago.  I was told by a small Ford car dealer that the Ford depot in Phoenix had 32 on the shelf at that time.  The Ford truck dealer in El Paso had 3 until I bought one of them.  It sounds like they turn these over pretty fast.  

I don't know that it would be a part that I would carry with.  I think you can get them overnight from most Ford dealers and probably off the shelf at a Ford (now Sterling) Truck dealer.  When mine failed it seeped.  I am sure that the pressure was not where it should have been with the leak but the coolant loss was minimal and I drove hundreds of miles with it like that.

Just know that you can get them from Ford and do not go through Monaco for double the price and a possible three week wait.  

George H. Wall

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
I was asked by a local Ford dealer the amount of $214.00 for this surge tank. Is that the going price?? Seems excessively HIGH for this item. THANKS!!!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
George,
Since I see that your coach has a Cummins engine instead of a Cat, I would measure the tank to be sure that it is the same.

Two and a half years ago I paid $100 in Texas for the tank. Six months ago I paid $146 for the same tank in California, so I would say that your dealer is probably high on his prices.

You may check online for the part number and see if Ford has increased the price that much. I just ran a search and found them online from $120 to $130.

Gerald
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:28:30 PM by 235 »

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
Thanks, Gerald!! I'll check for those online.

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »
George,

We have a ISL Cummins 370HP and I just purchased the surge tank from Beaver Coach Sales for $199 + shipping.  Our tank is of a more rectangular shape (about 15" H X 12" W X 10" D) and it turns out that BCSales says that Monaco will not release the manufacturer of the tank to sell directly so therefore the high price.  I have not installed the tank  yet (we are currently in CT and I want to wait to get home to change it out) however the new tank although the same dimensions as the old one is of a much heavier construction although it is still plastic.  Good luck.

Paul

George H. Wall

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
Paul,    My tank is the same size as yours, as Gerald suggested. Mine has not yet cracked or leaked, but I was going to get a spare juest in case. Thanks for your info!!  GH Wall