Author Topic: Air bags during winter storage  (Read 4592 times)

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
Air bags during winter storage
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
Hello All,
I was wondering what anyone's experience was with the air suspension during winter storage.

Our coach has been sitting since our last trip in early January. We live just south of Seattle and it has been a bit cold here lately. I went out the other day to check on the heater I have inside and the left rear airbag(s) were all the way down. I started it up and ran it for a while and the bags came back up to normal level.

My question is this, should the air suspension be 'dumped' while it is just sitting or should it be left at ride height?

thanks,

Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Lee Welbanks

Re: Air bags during winter storage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:48 AM »
I believe that most would say to dump your suspension. I always dump my suspension when parked for storage.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:17 AM »
My coach seems to slowly leak down and settle quite evenly over several months time before I even begin to get near where the coach suspension position would be with dumping the air. If your coach leaks down evenly so you are not torqueing the frame then it is fine to not dump the air. (In my opinion) If you have issues where the coach leaks down unevenly then by all means dump the air. The main issue is not torqueing or twisting the structure while in storage.

Dumping the air and leaving the coach air system empty should not pose any issues either.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
Our '06 Monterey did the same thing to us the first winter;  left rear sagged over several weeks.  Went out one day and saw a small crack on the upper passenger side of the windshield.  Over the next couple weeks it got a whole lot worse, eventually shredding a slew of cracks across that side corner.  I was new to diesels and air bags, much less one piece windshields, and it was a lesson.

It turned out that the glass had been mis-set at the factory, but the twist from the bag leak didn't help.  I learned to dump air rather than leave it in Travel Mode when parking for any length of time, especially on any degree of unlevel surface.  I often check that the cracks between closed bay doors and body are relatively even all around, an indication of no cap-stressing twist.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Carol Moffett

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Hi Dean!
   We always dump our air and set the jacks when we park for the winter in the back yard.  We may not be staying in it but it`s still "parked" like we are!  Just makes sense to us.  :^3=~~
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~